03. catching the delinquent

CHAPTER THREE
catching the delinquent

____________________

"are you sure  you're ready?" diane asked. sam nodded in return. the two walked through the school doors side by side.

it had been a week now since diane joined debate. it was going smoothly. now that it has been 2 weeks since the school fight, sam was officially back.

"hand me the bags," a security guard ordered at the two girls. they've been at the school doors since the school fight, ensuring no weapons. it was so unnecessary.

diane threw her dark green bag onto the table, the guard rummaging through it. she took it back afterwards and waited for sam's backpack to be finished looking through.

a couple of girls started whispering as sam passed by. everyone the two girls passed stared, whispered, and giggled.

"i'm gonna go to class," sam mumbled.

"don't care about them," diane said. sam gave her a small smile, heading towards the staircase. leaving her alone, diane spotted demetri also standing alone.

"hey 'meat!" diane nudges his elbow when she walked up to him.

"i thought i told you i didn't want to be nicknamed a form of flesh," he whined. "hey, doesn't sam come back today?"

"yeah. she went to class—" diane pointed to the staircase. her eyes squint. "huh. she's just standing there."

"let's go." demetri starts to walk up to sam, diane following closely behind. he puts his hand on sam's shoulder, seemingly cutting her out of her trance. she whips her head back, clearly tense.

"woah. easy there, captain marvel. same team, remember?" demetri said, raising an eyebrow. sam's breathing was heavy and quick.

"i have to go." she spun around and ran away, completely opposite of where she was originally heading to.

"did something happen?" demetri turned and asked diane, completely clueless.

"just give her some time," diane replied. "a psycho literally slashed her arm."

"okay, okay, okay. sorry for being a little insensitive." demetri put his hands up as if he was guilty. diane scrunched her eyes at him. he was so odd.

____________________

"robby stole a car?" diane repeated daniel's words in utter shock. he nodded slowly. she sat across from him at the larusso dinner table.

"we have a lead on finding him," daniel added. "enough about robby. how was debate today?"

"the teacher didn't really make us do anything. he just told us about what debate is... is robby still in california?" she tried to talk about school but really her brother was the only thing on her mind.

"yeah. we tracked the car and it's still here," daniel continued. "i might need amanda to come help me find him."

"if you need someone's help, i'm always free,"
diane beamed. she would take any opportunity to skip out on school, and especially to find her brother.