Mal Swanson - Them

Start from the beginning

After talking and getting to know some of the girls a little, Mal whispered to me, "I'm going to bed. You wanna come?"

"Yeah, I'm tired anyways. Goodnight everyone."

Everyone had the same idea and left with Mal and I, when I realized something as we got into the elevator.

I don't know where I'm going.

"By the way, you're rooming with me." Mal said, as if she read my mind.

"Okay."

Perfect!

We made our way into now our room, and she pointed to my bed.

I nodded, understanding what she meant, before flopping down on the bed.

I was exhausted- a big final, school, and long flight in one day was tiring.

But one question still roamed my mind.

"Mal, what did you mean by beware of Christen and Tobin?"

And like it was magic, our hotel door flew open with a look on Christen Press's face that was unreadable.

"Mallory Diane Pugh!"

Oh shit, she used her full name.

"You warned your sister about us!?" She practically yelled, but stayed respectful to her teammates who wanted to sleep.

This was hilarious.

Mal looked at me, a 'seriously?' look on her face.

"I see what you mean now." I laughed.

Christen turned her head my direction at the sound of my voice.

Instantly switching personalities, she slightly gasped, "You must be Kaelyn! I've heard wonderful things about you from your sister. It's so good to finally meet you."

She got up and hugged me, catching me by surprise.

"It's nice to meet you too." I smiled, hugging her back.

"Don't let her fool you, Kae. Once she gets to know you more this is gonna be you." Mal commented, running into the bathroom before Christen could catch her.

The veteran sighed. "This girl. How do you live with her?"

"I don't." I laughed.

"Oh right." She laughed along. "Well I'll let you two be, have a nice night."

"Yeah you too, nice meeting you."

"Aww aren't you sweet?" She waved, exiting the room.

I got up and locked it before knocking on the bathroom door.

"Mal she's gone." I laughed at the weird interaction the two had.

My older sister opened the door. "Phew. That was close."

"Is she always like that?" I questioned, finding it a bit weird but at the same time, hilarious.

"Pretty much. Her and Tobin. They treat me like their child. And now that you're here, they will probably do the same to you." She chuckled, getting into her bed.

"Okay. Weird."

———

The next morning at my very first training was fun. We did some passing drills, shooting drills, defensive drills, and finally a scrimmage.

I was finally getting to show Mal what I can really do, since she hasn't been able to see me play in a few years now. I know she knew I deserved the spot on the roster, but she didn't know how good I actually am.