THE LAST ONE-Chapter Sixteen-Sam

Start from the beginning

"Now see, this is howthings were meant to be." Meghan's lips touched my back and herfingers crept up to tease my nipples.

I turned in her arms, aswell of something that scared the shit of me rising in my chest.It felt so right, so perfect, to have her greet me at the end of ahard day of work, her pretty curls dancing around her shoulders,her eyes bright and full of life. Like I could do this every dayand never get tired of it.

Not knowing what to dowith that thought, I tugged her closer and kissed her until thelips under mine were the only things I could think about.

"Hi." I lifted my mouthjust long enough to speak. "Ali and Bridget?"

She smiled. "Still atthe stand for another hour. Cassie sprained her ankle, and Ali'sexpecting a delivery, so she has to wait there. And Bridget wenthome with her friend Kate to spend the night."

Something new was risingnow, and it was not anything I dreaded. "We're alone here? For atleast an hour?"

"We are." She pulled atmy arm and began walking backward toward the kitchen. "Yourroom?"

"Oh, yeah."

We made it into thekitchen before I had to kiss her again, backing her into thecounter where I lifted her up and stood between her knees, my handsgripping her rear and my mouth on her neck, heading south.

When I heard a knocking,I decided it had to be my heart. Or something we were shaking inthe kitchen. Or maybe even a lost group of Jehovah's Witnesses whohad wandered to my front door and would just go the hell away ifignored.

"Sam." Meghan lifted herhead from my lips. "Someone's at the door."

"Uh-huh. They'll goaway. Shhhh, just be quiet, they'll think no one's at home."

"What if it'simportant?"

"Babe, nothing's moreimportant than what we're doing right here."

"But what if it'ssomething with Ali or Bridget?"

I sucked on the pulse inher throat. "Someone would call."

"Unless they didn't haveyour number, just the address."

I blew out a breath offrustration and dug my fingers through my hair. "Fine. I'll get thefucking door and then-" I pointed at her. "Then you-me-upstairs,naked. Lots of naked."

She giggled and pushedat my shoulder. "Go, and then the nakedness."

I stomped to the frontdoor, cursing anyone who was stupid enough to come by my house atthis moment and already making up reasons to send them away. Theplague, maybe, forcing us to be quarantined. Or a rabid dog on thepremises. Something really believable.

I threw open the door,and I must have been wearing my frustration on my face for all theworld to see, because the guy standing on the other side took aninstinctive step backward. It was to his advantage that I had noidea who he was-just a man younger than me, with black hair thatreached almost to his shoulder. He was thin and not quite as tallas me.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sureI'm at the right house," he began, and my hopes soared. He had thewrong address, and I could send him on his way without resorting toviolence.

"Who're you lookingfor?" I opened the door a little wider and put one hand on myhip.

"I'm-" He started tospeak again, and then he looked over my shoulder, and his eyesbrightened. "Hey, Megs!"

I looked over myshoulder at Meghan, who stood frozen a few feet behind me. Her eyeswere round and her mouth had dropped open.

The guy smiled at me. "Icame to see Meghan. I had the address, but I wasn't sure if thiswas the place."