THE LAST ONE Chapter Five--Meghan

I'M A MUTTERER.

Ever since I was alittle kid, I muttered. According to my mom, when other toddlerswere throwing temper tantrums, I was sitting in the corner, my armsfolded over my chest, talking low to myself about the injustices oflife. She swore it came from spending too much time with Sadie, thegray-haired dynamo who, along with her husband Mack, had worked inour family restaurant for generations. Sadie had a tendency to walkaround wiping down tables, talking to herself. Since I'd hung outwith her at the Rip Tide since I was a baby, it wasn't surprisingI'd picked up some of her bad habits.

I muttered all the wayfrom Boomer's garage in the middle of Burton, down the emptycountry roads and into the rush-hour traffic of Savannah. And I wasstill at it when I stalked into our apartment and slammed the doorbehind me.

"Hey." Laura glancedover her shoulder from the stove, where she was stir-fryingsomething that smelled delicious. "You get the car back okay?"

"Hmph." I threw myhandbag onto the sofa and flopped down next to it. "Yeah, I gotit."

"What's the matter?" Sheleaned her elbows on the counter and frowned at me. "Was Boomer acreep? Did he over-charge you?"

"No, and no. The pricewas more than reasonable, and he seemed like a good guy." I scowledand jiggled my leg up and down, all my pent-up frustration waitingto burst out. "I ran into your hero while I was there."

"My hero? Who ... oh,Sam? That's funny, that you ran into him. Isn't he nice?"

"No, nice is not theword I'd use for him. He was a jerk."

Laura's eyes widened."What do you mean? What did he do?"

"He called me immatureand irresponsible. He said I wasn't a good friend to you. What didyou tell him about me? I felt like he was ready to string me up andbrand me with a scarlet D."

"D?" Her foreheadwrinkled.

"Yeah, for drunkard. Hesaid I was an idiot and that I put you in danger and ... I don'tknow, there was more." I sniffed. Now that my mad was subsiding,the hurt feelings were making themselves known.

"Megs, I promise, Inever said anything. I mean, he knew you were wasted because youwere passed out in the front seat. But I never said anything else.Just that maybe you'd had a little too much rum. I wasn't upsetabout it." She rounded the breakfast bar and sat down next to me onthe sofa. "C'mon, you know I'd never complain about being yourdesignated driver. You've done it for me enough."

"That's what I said.God, Lo, he was so mean. I've never had anyone who I just met hateme like that."

"Yeah, it usually takesat least a month." Laura elbowed me in the ribs, and I couldn'thelp a tiny smile.

"Whatever, bitch." Iclosed my eyes, drew in a long, deep breath and then let it out ina whoosh. "Okay. I am officially letting it go, forgetting abouthim. Tell me what you're making over there. It smells yummy."

"Veggie stir-fry. Yousit still, I'll bring it over."

I didn't have to be toldtwice not to move. My temper was legendary among friends andfamily, but after the worst hit me, I was drained.

"I'd offer you a glassof wine, but we all know what a lush you are. If I give yousomething to drink, you might go off and be irresponsible andimmature again."

"That's me. Don't forgetthoughtless. And idiotic."

Laura set down our foodon the coffee table, and we ate in silence for a few minutes.

"You're brooding." Lauralaid her chopsticks across the plate. "He really got to you, didn'the?"

I lifted one shoulder."It just took me by surprise, I think. I was kind of happy to seehim when he walked in, you know? To say thank you for his help, andthen he just jumped all over me."