CHAPTER 4 Enthalpies of Reaction

Start from the beginning

I considered her, her words, and sighed. "I'm not a yacht."

"No. You're a girl. He's had hundreds of girls. But he has only one yacht." Then under her breath she added, "Well, he has only one yacht that I know of."

"Sam, weren't you the one pushing me to get his number?"

"Yes, but that was before I was told to stand outside while you went into his lair. That wasbefore I saw the dazed look on your face when you emerged from theaforementioned lair. That was before I found out he wants you to goaway with him for a week! I want you to get your freak on, but Idon't want you to get your heart broken."

"I think you're overreacting. You said yourself, he has them lined up around the block. I'll politely decline his offer, and he'll move on to someone else. There is no need to become hysterical."

"I'm not hysterical andyou are being purposefully obtuse."

"Fine. I'll sleep with him. I'll call him tomorrow and tell him I want to get it overwith. Then, by your logic, he'll go away. Problem solved."

Sam growled. "That's not a good idea either."

"Well, what do you want me to do?"

"You should tell him face-to-face that you don't want to go. You should explain your reasons why and establish boundaries for future interactions. And you should have me there as your representative to make sure he doesn't try to zap you with his sexy ray."

"Zap me with his sexy ray?"

"You know what I'm talking about. I barely saw him and I'm feeling the effects. He's got like an...electromagnetic pulse of sexy or something. So does his friend, Eric. They're a menace. They shouldn't be allowed in public."

"That's not how 3 electromagnets work."

"Whatever. You get my point."

"We're here." The driver's voice over the speaker interrupted our conversation and drew our attention to the view of our dorm outside my window.

I heard the sound of him exiting the car, presumably walking around to open my door.

Sam covered my hand with hers bringing my attention back to her. "Just think about what I said. Carter did a number on you, but his intentions weren't hurtful. This guy," she paused, her eyes moving between mine, "if Carter was a stick of dynamite, this guy is a nuclear weapon."

***

The campus email directory was public information within the school's Black Board system. I could find any person's email address by conducting a simple first name, last name, year enrolled search. However, since it was so easy to find a person's email address, very few people actually used their on-campus email account, preferring Gmail or another alternative where spam wasn't such an issue.

I knew this. I knew the chances of Martin actually receiving my email were minute.Regardless, I reasoned I would have the moral high ground if I sent him an email as soon as I arrived home. Then, when he showed up the next day and I was missing, I could point out later that I did-in fact-send him an email.

It wasn't my fault if he didn't check his email.

Martin,

I hope you are well.

I appreciate your offer to accompany you on your travels during spring break, but I've reconsidered my response. Upon gaining distance from the situation,I see that I made an error when I agreed to go with you. I simply have too much school work to do this week. As well, I volunteer at a women's crisis center as their resident desktop support. I do not want to leave without giving them proper notice as they count on me to be here when issues arise. Therefore, please accept my apologies. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding an alternative.