"I'm gonna blast him?" you said to Coco, a little annoyed. You came up with enough stupid plans to last the crew a light years. You didn't need the self-proclaimed "smartest supercomputer in the galaxy" to do that.

[ FAITH, CAPTAIN. BESIDES, IT'LL GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO SEE EXACTLY HOW THE STAND WORKS. ]

You looked at JoJo. It was a lot to ask of your newest crew member. He didn't have years of trust in you. He barely had a few days, actually.

"I'll do it," JoJo said.

"If he gets teleported away, how are we going to find him?" you asked Coco.

[ I'VE GOT A WAY. COME ON. WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF TIME. ]

JoJo scanned the canal with a touch of fear before he started walking towards it. You made to find a vantage point by a nearby line of Levis when JoJo looked over his shoulder at you.

"You'll get me back, right?"

"Don't trust me?"

JoJo smiled tightly. "I'm not sure yet." His face seemed to flicker a little at that, although you were sure it was just your eyes playing tricks.

"Trish! Fugo! Where are you?" JoJo called, his voice nearly swallowed by the rushing water. "Can you hear me? Where are you?"

You crouched behind a silver Levi, watching intently. JoJo continued to call for Trish and Fugo, walking steadily towards the canal. You tried to watch from your periphery, seeing if any of the people nearby were reacting to JoJo's proximity to the water. All at once, JoJo fell forward. There was a weak splash, nowhere near as loud as it should have been. You rushed forward, whipping your elector out, firing shots like your life depended on it. There were a few shouts nearby as people scattered from the gunfire. Your eyes barely snagged on it before your blood ran cold.

Was that a flacking shark fin?

Unable to help yourself, you leaned over the canal, feeling the spray dampen the back of your neck and collar. All you saw at the bottom of the canal were rueful casino chips and slivers of metal vouchers. No JoJo. And no shark either. Just a patch of blood that was quickly carried away by the water. At least you'd hit the bastard.

You backed away from the canal, every flash of light in the water making you tense. "Coco? What now?"

[ STARS, YOU'D BE TERRIBLE IN HOLODRAMAS. JUMP IN! ACT LIKE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR JOJO! YOU NEED TO GET WET TOO. ]

You gritted your teeth, wanting to argue but knowing there wasn't time. You leapt into the canal, calling JoJo's name. When it was obvious JoJo wasn't there, you scrambled out of the canal, trying not to shiver at the cold.

[ YOU NEED A LEVI. THINK YOU CAN GET ONE? ]

"First explain to me how we're supposed to find JoJo after all of that," you said. As nonchalantly as you could, you slipped into the crowd, trying not to look like a drenched rat.

[ YOU'RE NOT GONNA BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS, CAPTAIN. ]

Your eyes caught on a balding middle-aged man. "Just try me."

In a move so familiar you could do in your sleep, you matched your steps to the older man's, glancing your hands over his baggy coat for his Levi keys and encasing them seamlessly into a card.

Once the man was a distance away, you took out the Levi keys, pressing the key head for the Levi to signal its location. You had to look around for a second to find it a few blocks away.

[ FUGO ASKED ME TO PUT A TRACKER ON JOJO. ]

"He what?"

[ I'M SURE HE'LL TELL YOU HIMSELF, BUT AFTER RUNNING A SCAN ON JOJO'S IDENT CHIP, I PLACED A TRACKER ON IT AT FUGO'S REQUEST. THE THINGS I FOUND OUT ABOUT THAT KID ARE PRETTY INTERESTING, ACTUALLY— ]

KISMET ─  vento aureo.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें