Part 4

I come into work the next day, feeling a little better. After calling my mom, she assured me that this isn't going to ruin anything for me, I just need to try and stay away from him when I can so I can focus on doing my job and doing it well, and then when the time comes, progressing to another team where then I don't have to spend any time with him at all!

I'm in my office this morning, when I get a knock on the door. When they come in, it's Tom and Ella. 
"Hey guys!" I reply. 
"Hey Mila." They say back, heading in and sitting on the seats again. 

Tom folds his hands together and we make eye contact.
"Now that you're at least a little settled in, we've got some good news for you." He says. 
I close my laptop and raise my eyebrows.
"We thought, why don't we really push you? We know it's your first F1 job, but we can really see how far you're gonna go here after being with us yesterday, and we heard amazing things from your training. And plus, Wes can't travel as much this year due to his wife just having a baby." Ella says.
"Okay, so what does this mean?" I ask. 
"You're going to be on the pit wall with us for this season, working with one of our drivers directly during the races instead of just helping us behind the scenes!" Ella exclaims.
I think I can see where this is going.
"Which driver am I going to be working with?" I ask, rubbing my hands together.
"Well, we figured that as you're new, and so is one of our drivers, it might be a good learning experience to put you with Mick." Tom says.

Why do I have the worst luck... ever???

"Thanks for this opportunity, guys. But I don't think I can do it." I reply. 

Ella looks surprised.
"What do you mean?"
"I just.. don't feel ready." I reply.
"That's what we're here for. Whatever you need help with, we're here. Don't worry! And plus, it means you can build a meaningful relationship with a driver early on in your career. That will put you further than a lot of people in the industry." Tom replies.

I play with one of my rings on my fingers. I can't let Mick affect my work. This is my dream, and if it means that it can put me in a better position to get the same position at a new team earlier, even just after this season, then that's even better. I'll just have to put up with him and not let our past affect us. Strictly business. And plus, my dad would kill me if I gave up this opportunity.

"Hm. Okay, I'll do it." I say.

Ella and Tom both breathe a sigh of relief.
"Amazing stuff! Right, I'll get a meeting sorted soon so you can meet Mick." 

I nod my head. They both get up to leave, but Ella hesitates.
"You head out, Tom. I'm just gonna stay real quick." She says to Tom. He shrugs, and leaves the office, closing the door behind him.

Ella sits back down and brushes her ashy blonde hair with her fingers.
"Yesterday, you were telling me about a childhood friend who had a dad in F1 who you were friends with. And when Mick showed up, you looked like you had seen a ghost and then briefly left when no one would notice. But you haven't met me, because I notice everything."

I awkwardly shift in my chair and carry on playing with my ring.
"I simply don't know what you're talking about."
"Mila, is Mick the childhood friend?"
"Maybe."
She sighs at me.
"We're trusting you here. I really like you and see great things in you, so I don't want your personal relationships affecting this, and in the end, the team."
"It won't. I want to do the best I can, and I will. I promise you, it won't be anything you'll need to worry about." I reply.
"Okay, good. I'll catch up with you in a few days, then. I'll send you the details with the meeting with Mick." Ella says. 

She then gets up and leaves, and within a matter of minutes, something pings on my laptop.

-------------------------------------------------
X - O | Welcome to Outlook, Mila B.

Meeting Invite:

Mick x Mila Debut Meeting
Attendees: Schumacher, Mick & Becker, Mila
Date: Friday, 1st March
Time: 13:00

Do you accept this invite?

|Accept|    |Decline|

-------------------------------------------------

I press accept, close my laptop in defeat and put my head on my desk. 

This is gonna be one long season.