One Day (I'll Focus On The Future Maybe)

I awake with a groan, my head feeling heavy the moment it leaves the comfort of my pillow. I yawn and stretch widely, the dread that comes with a mountain of unfinished work not having quite settled in my stomach yet. I put my phone on charge, as I fell asleep with it on last night and the battery is drained. I get to my feet and stretch again, ignoring the crack of my bones that signals my general lack of exercise. I stumble sleepily into my tiny kitchen to make myself some coffee to shake myself awake, and I almost jump out of my actual skin when I see a shadowy figure, sitting at the small table. In the dark. In my kitchen.
"
What the fuck?" I curse, hand fumbling for the light switch. The bulb quickly shines to life, and my rapidly-beating heart falters with relief when I see that it is just my sister, sitting at the small table. In the dark. In my kitchen- "The fuck are you doing here?" I manage to gasp out, clutching a hand to my chest.
She just grins widely at me, showing off her gleaming teeth. Her flaming red hair is unbound, falling to somewhere just above her shoulders. Her face is so insufferably arrogant at such a time in the morning that I shoot her a dark scowl as I move to make the coffee I had originally intended on making.
"I was bored." She shrugs, and I roll my eyes as I slam a mug down on the counter. I pop the kettle, and refuse to turn and look at her as I frustratedly pour myself a bowl of cereal.
"What did I tell you about just dropping by whenever you please?" I sigh, slamming the fridge door as I put the milk away.
"I don't know. I didn't listen." I can practically hear that arrogant grin.
"Clearly." I lean against the counter to eat my breakfast rather than take a seat at the table beside her.
"You're not mad, are you?" She feigns innocence, tilting her head and smiling softly. She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, and my scowl deepens. She obviously got the good genes from my parents, and though she's four years younger than me, I'd always secretly envied how she always seems to get her way; whether that be with our parents, shopkeepers, neighbours, or boys (or even sometimes girls). I do not resent her, but my envy does bitter the affection I may have otherwise had for her. It does eat me alive, the guilt of disliking her just because of her good looks, but she doesn't exactly make it easy to like her, either.
"Take a guess. I thought you were a burglar or some shit." I dump my empty bowl in the sink and set to making a very, very strong coffee.
"Is mother aware of your foul mouth?" She kicks her legs back and forth, and I roll my eyes yet again.
"I have work to do today, so I want you out. I can't focus with you here." I say it bluntly, not caring how rude I sound, kicking her out.
"But I wanted to see my dear older sister." She pouts, causing my glare to harden. I've never fallen for her charm, or childishness, or whatever she thinks it is.
"Okay? You should have asked to meet up then. Or at least told me you'd be coming over. I'm busy today, so I can't hang out. Some of us actually work, you know." She hasn't earned an honest penny in her life. Twenty years old, and she relies on our parents to supply everything for her. Even though they live miles away even from her, they happily oblige, doting on their youngest daughter dutifully as their eldest struggles to stay afloat on the little income she earns- earns, and actually works for.
"Oh, yeahhh, you still have that job, right?" The way she says it is so condescending that it's an effort for me to rein in my annoyance. My fingers curl tightly around the handle of my mug, and I struggle to keep my voice even.
"Yeah, and it's more than you've ever done. Now, if you could please leave, then I can get on with this job." She gets to her feet, and I usher her to the door, my brow furrowed in a disdainful frown. "And next time you're going to show up at the crack of dawn, at least give me a warning first."
"Whatever. Have fun earning your minimum wage, or whatever it is you actually do." I open the door for her.
"Have fun spending the money mum and dad have no right giving to you." With that, I slam the door in her face, and lock it. I sigh to myself, silently wondering how she even got in. Our parents probably gave her the spare key I'd given them a while back.

I grip my hair in frustration as I hold my head in my hands. A four-hundred-word article on sports later, I feel like curling up somewhere and dying. I send the article to my editor, who will go through the mind-numbing process of correcting any errors I may have made, and will then send it to the printing press, which probably earns more money than we do.
I decide to go through my emails, and see the booking confirmation and ticket for the Lovejoy show that I'm apparently going to at the end of the month. It reminds me to get in touch with my manager and ask him to order me a backstage-pass so I can interview the band, and also to ask him to get in touch with the band manager to inform them of the interview. I send a quick email, then shut down my laptop. Air- I need air. I swiftly grab a coat and put on my shoes, and head out. Where, I don't know.