Christen Press - Turkey

Start from the beginning

She also goes on trips almost every weekend for away games. Sometimes I can go with her, but with my own soccer I barely can.

One more thing is she's famous in the soccer community, which means I can never go out with her without being bombarded with fans.

It's cool seeing people admire her, but it's annoying if you want a quiet day out with your own mom.

Makena has some knowledge of what it's like, but only with older fans.

Her mom played D1 soccer in college with my mom at Stanford, which is why she's one of my best friends. Our moms are always hanging out, which means we see each other more.

"1st and 2nd place runners over here!" The secretary of our school announced, motioning for us to come over to an area.

We did, and they took a picture for the yearbook.

Soon enough, we were let back into the locker rooms to change before leaving.

---

"This turkey is getting annoying." I whined to Makena on our walk home.

"I'll trade ya." She joked, knowing I wouldn't.

"I'm good, thanks!"

We talked some more about the strange day, eventually reaching our neighborhood.

Since we lived on different sides of our street, we said goodbye, before splitting ways.

I walked up to my house here in Utah, getting my keys out of my pocket and unlocking my door.

"Mom! I'm home!" I shouted, making my presence heard.

"In here!" She yelled back from the kitchen.

I dropped off my backpack, turkey still in hand as I made my way to her.

"Watcha makin'?" I asked, waiting for her to notice the turkey.

"Dinner." She replied, not looking up from what she was doing.

"Nice."

"How was your day?" She finally placed a bowl of what looked like green beans down and looked at me, smiling.

"It was fun."

"That's good-" That's when she noticed the bag I was holding. "What's that?" She questioned.

"A turkey." I replied as casually as I could.

"And where did you get a turkey from?" She raised an eyebrow, totally confused.

"School."

Her confusion only grew as her face turned to an overly-exaggerated 'what?' look.

I laughed at her expression, placing the turkey on the island.

"Baby why do you have a turkey?"

"I ran in a race for it. Beat all the girls in my grade."

Her confused look turned to a more proud one. "Congrats love! How much did you run?"

"I think it was 600 meters."

"Oh wow, do you know how fast you did it?"

"No, they didn't tell us."

She smiled proudly at me before coming over and wrapping me in her arms.

I enjoyed her scent that I miss so much at school. A comforting combination of vanilla and fresh flowers.

She kissed the top of my head, before cupping my face in her hands.

"I'm so glad we're on off-season right now." She announced quietly, before peppering my face with kisses.

"Mom." I groaned, secretly enjoying it.

"Don't 'mom.' me." She chuckled, now wrapping me even tighter in her arms.

"But now what are we gonna do with an extra turkey?"