𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

( 𝗂𝗍'𝗌 𝖺 𝖻𝖾𝖺𝗎𝗍𝗂𝖿𝗎𝗅 𝗇𝖾𝗐 𝖽𝖺𝗒 )

THE DIVORCE OF MARGARET'S parents was still fresh in her mind and she knew that no matter what, Steven and Belly still loved their dad. That love doesn't go away so easily even after a big secret like cheating comes out. Margaret saw it in a different light. Maybe it was because she was the one who saw it happen, maybe it was because she was the one who had to keep it a secret from everyone, she honestly didn't know.

The day Margaret saw John kiss that women, something changed between them. They weren't as close anymore, everything wasn't the same. How could it? Margaret distanced herself from him and Laurel noticed it. She didn't assume much, thinking that maybe Margaret was growing up and was no longer the daddy's girl she used to be.

But Laurel tried her best. When she found out about what was going on and what John asked of Margaret, divorce was the only answer. However, Laurel knew that in order for her children to have an ounce of normalcy after their discovery and divorce, they needed to at least respect each other to co parent. They didn't have to like one another, but there needed to be mutual respect. Not only that, but there also needed to be continuity for the kids.

Cousins was always the answer. It was the same ride, same roads, same scenery and same time every summer that made the kids feel as normal as possible. Even if it was different, Cousins never changed. Laurel kept wondering if bringing them to Cousins was the right move. She knew the kids needed something to make them feel normal, something they needed to be the same. Everything was changing, but she knew the trip to Cousins was something that was stable.

Laurel needed her kids to interact with the two boys that were their lifetime best friends. Always bringing out the best in one another.

Conrad, Margaret, Steven, Jeremiah and Belly. The five kids all having fun with one another, playing, fighting, arguing, annoying one another, then eventually going to parties. Only the older kids of course.

First it was Conrad and Margaret going, then Steven tagged along, and then Jeremiah. However, Belly always hanged back to be with the mothers. Belly would beg for Margaret to stay back, but she knew she couldn't now. Not with the boys being reckless, Margaret had to step up even more now to keep them in line. Especially when Conrad started to let go a little more and more as each summer passed.

Conrad and Margaret were close, at least they used to be. Sixteen is when they stoped talking, when they stoped being close, when they kissed for the first time, and when they had sex for the first time. After that summer. It was dead and gone. Years and years of friendship down the drain, all because they got too drunk in her room and kissed one another, leading to the two taking away each others first times.

Margaret shook her head at the memory all those nights ago.

Cousins was an escape. A false reality. A dream land. Maybe it's what they needed, or maybe, it's what would bring them down even more.

As their van pulled into the drive way and the summer house was in full view. Margaret couldn't help but feel nerves run though her. A lot can change in a year, she just hopes this place didn't. That no matter how much of a storm the outside world causes, this house stayed the same and that this house would cure all the nastiness the world offered.

Steven quickly began honking the horn, Margaret slapping his shoulder as Laurel got out the van. The first person out of the house was Jeremiah.

Jeremiah Fisher was Belly's best friend out of the two Fisher brothers. Jeremiah was sweet, kind and to some, a nice breath of fresh air. At least Margaret thought he was. Jeremiah and Margaret were close, being as Margaret was the first person to help him after a hungover and she was the first person to even know that Jeremiah liked boys and girls.