Jace Tries To Die And Succeeds

Start bij het begin

And to make matters worse, before they could even chase after any of them, Clary got a call from Luke.

"Valentine's in Idris," she announced, and they all froze.

"How?" Alec asked.

"He made a deal with the Seelie Queen. Luke's already warned the other Downworld leaders," she answered, and Serena kicked the trunk of a car, making the alarm go off.

"That's what I get for saving her life," she muttered. "I'm going to wring her skinny, little neck!" she threatened and Alec put an arm around her, his contact making the bubble of anger in her chest pop.

"Damn Valentine," Jace swore.

"If Valentine gets to that lake-" Izzy began.

"He won't. Malachi's army is armed and waiting for him," Alec pointed out.

"We need to warn him. Who knows how many Circle members will be there?" Clary pointed out.

"And how many members of the Clave aren't secretly working for Valentine," Serena said and they all looked grimly at her.

"If we lower the wards, the demons will get out and spread throughout the city," Izzy said.

"Maybe we don't have to lower them. Maybe my Portal rune can pierce the wards," the redhead suggested.

"We can't all go, the demons need to be dealt with," Alec spoke up.

"Clary and I will go. You two stay, slay the beasts. What do you want to do?" Jace asked his sister who sighed as she contemplated. He wouldn't make this choice for her because she had just as much of a reason to want Valentine dead as the two of them, perhaps even more of a reason after what was written inside those journals.

"As much as I want to be there to help you kill Valentine, I'm more useful here. I still have Downworlders to deal with," she said and Jace nodded as they turned away, readying themselves for battle. "Jacey!" Serena called before Clary began drawing. "Make it hurt."

He came to kiss her forehead. "I promise." And he turned to follow Clary as they disappeared through the Portal.

********************************

Serena had an eerily bad feeling. Something that told her that the pit in her stomach and the sour taste in the back of her mouth was nothing compared to what was going to happen. Something bad was going to happen, that much she was sure of and she liked it even less that her twin and his lover had been separated from them.

While she could do nothing about her bad feeling, she could do something about the strange demons that had appeared in the city only to keep multiplying. The aerial sensors were picking up over fifty demonic presences with the numbers still climbing by the minute. Not only that but they were a rare sub-species of asmodei, demons straight from Edom. Tenacious and intelligent. One would think that the city streets would be flowing with blood, but the demons hadn't attacked anyone or anything yet, they all just kept circling the city, unable to get out because of the warlock wards.

Magnus had actually been the one to call Serena about the demons when one got a little too close to his warlocks on the roof of his apartment building that were maintaining the shields around New York.

The three Shadowhunters were set to meet the warlock at Croton Point where they'd located the rift, however, before they left...

"Alec, no!" Serena whined. "Why can't I take them?"

"You know why," Alec persisted as he handed her the weapons. "These are aerial demons, you stand no chance against them with your swords. And they are way too fast when they split for you to get them."