YEAR 1: Chapter 1: Jynx

"Jynx! Jynx, dear, wake up," I heard a disgustingly sweet voice say. The blankets were pulled away from me and the curtains opened. I grunted and pulled the blankets back as the morninglight hurted my eyes.
"Up you get, wake your brother."
I sighed and stood up.
My mom walked out of my room and went downstairs. I rubbed my eyes and went to the room of my brother, Neville. On my way my mother's cat came walking to me. She hissed and I rolled my eyes. I was used to it, but because of my mom I hated her cat too.

"Neville, wake up," I whispered to my twin, softly giving him a push. "Don't wanna be late for school." My brother sighed and sat up.
"It's not today, is it?"
"Yup, first day Hogwarts, here we come. Let's just hope it's not as terrible as mom described it."
"What house do you think we will be sorted in?" Neville said, and yawned.
"No idea, but I'd want anything but Slytherin. I have no intention in following in mom's footsteps."
"Why do you complain? At least she doesn't hate you."
"She doesn't hate you either, Neville. She just..." I sat next to him on his bed.
He sighed.
"Didn't expect two kids at once?"
"Maybe, we'll never know. At least we have an entire year without her now. For seven years straight."

Our mother works at the Ministry of Magic, but she absolutely never let us use magic. She always says we don't need to know how to use it, but she does send us to Hogwarts. A school, where you literally learn magic. She always complains to my brother that he does things wrong. Yes, he is a slow learner, and that's why he will have me at school. And hopefully a few friends. But I do pity him. He also started showing magical abilities way later than me. Mother thought that maybe he was a Squib, a person born into a magical family, but without magical abilities. She pushed him off a pier once, and he almost had drowned. She even held Neville by his feet above the balcony one time, forcing him to do magic. We were only eight, and I watched as it happened. She eventually dropped him, and I had screamed, thinking he was dead. But he had cushioned, and bounced down the road, finally showing he was indeed a wizard.

Despite that we aren't entirely pure-bloods, our mother treats us like them. She is half-blood, my father pure-blood. Neville and I were both always interested in the Muggle world, where the people without magic live. We used to sneak out the house and go to the nearest Muggle village. We live quite close to the Muggles, so it was not that hard to find. It turns out, they live normal lives, without magic, but they do have things that we don't. Like things that produce music, and we don't have those things at home, so I used to sit outside that house, close enough to listen to the music. I wouldn't have cared if I was Muggle-born, their lives don't seem so boring at all, just quiet and simple.

Our father is another story. Mom doesn't talk much about him, and I remember even less. He was sent to prison when Neville and I were very little. For what reason exactly, I have no idea. Just that he is a criminal and sided with Voldemort. But we did get his last name.

I went back to my room, got dressed and had breakfast downstairs. Neville appeared there just a moment after me.
"Neville, could you hurry up? You don't want to to miss the train."
When mom turned her back to us, I shot her a death glare. This is what I meant.
Then we took our suitecases, with books, wand and quill, and our pets. Neville a had chosen a toad and I had chosen an owl, and called her Sofia, because there was no way I was getting a friggin frog and I despised cats. So why not an owl? Neville's toad was a male, and called Trevor, but were it a female, we just might have named it Dolores.

Mom took us to the trainstation, and we walked through the wall between platforms nine and ten, to platform nine and three quarters. It was really busy there, and a lot of kids of my age were there. It was probably their first time to Hogwarts as well. I saw a bunch of kids with red hair run by, of which two looked really identical.
Mom took us by our shoulders. I was honestly a bit embarrassed that an all-in-pink woman stood here, and she was my mother.
She smiled her sweet smile at us.
"Jynx, Neville, I trust you will do your very best at school. And don't make to much trouble. I truly will miss you." I was so surprised she was being so nice all of a sudden, I almost got emotional.
"I must remind you, do not talk to anyone named Harry Potter." She quickly looked left and right, and then focused on me.
"Jynx, please look out for your brother. And know I love you." She gave me an awkward hug, and tears appeared in my eyes. Not because she said she loved me, but because she didn't say she loved Neville. I felt so bad for him, but I would never leave his side. Neville just kind of stood there, and after mom smiled once more, she turned and left the way she came. Now we were on our own.

We took our bags and cages, and stept onto the train. We searched for a place to sit, but it was really full.
"I'll sit here, J," my brother said.
"Okay," I answered, and walked to someplace else. If only he wouldn't get lost. I saw the same identical brothers from the trainstation, and decided I needed somewhere to sit, and maybe they wouldn't mind.
"Is this seat taken?" I asked carefully.
"No, go on," one of them smiled.
"Thanks," I smiled awkwardly back. I always felt uncomfortable around people I didn't know, but I guessed I was going to have to get used to new people now.
"Is this your first year?" the other one asked.
"Yeah, what about you two?"
"This is our third year, and, as you might have guessed, we're twins, so we're in the same year."
"Yeah, I noticed that. I am a twin as well, my brother is somewhere...there." I pointed with my thumb behind me.
"I'm Fred," the left boy said.
"And I'm George," the right one said.
"I'm Jynx, nice to meet you," I replied.

Then I remembered what my mother said.
"Do you know anyone named Harry Potter?" I asked, keeping my voice down.
"Yes, of course we have heard of him. We just spoke to him actually. He is on the train now." George said.
"This must be his first year to Hogwarts as well." Fred continued.
"Well, what about him?" George asked.
"Um, well..." I started. I didn't really know what to say, I had never heard of this Harry Potter before. "My mom told me not to talk to him," I said. "Is he dangerous?"
I was only eleven years old, but not scared of a boy my age. Even if he were dangerous.
"No, I don't think so," Fred answered. He glanced outside our cabin, leaned a bit forward and almost whispered: "He is special, though. He is the only one ever to survive an attack from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He killed him."

I then realized my mother had been keeping big things from us. I didn't know about any Harry Potter. I decided this was not the right place to ask about more, and changed the subject.

"What is Hogwarts like? Is it boring?" I asked.
"No, it's not too bad," George replied. "You learn a lot of different things, and you even learn how to use magic."
"Finally," I muttered to myself.
"You get sorted into one of four houses and will share a room with four other kids," Fred added. "You'll also get the chance to participate in Quidditch."
"What's that?"
"You don't know?" George asked surprised. "Basically a game where you fly around on broomsticks and try to score as much as possible with your team. You'll get more information on everything when we get there."
"Wow, sounds interesting," I said. "Thanks for the info."
"You're welcome," the boys said in unison.

We talked a bit more, and I discovered they were in the Gryffindor house, just like their siblings. It was the first year of their younger brother, Ron, and their little sister Ginny would be starting next year. They had three older brothers, Bill, Charlie and Percy. Percy was in his fifth year, and Gryffindor's Prefect. Fred and George were really nice to me, and they turned out to be really funny as well.

Suddenly I saw something small walk through the hallway, and I stood up. It was a toad. And not any toad, my brother's.
"Trevor!" I heard a voice. "Trevor, where are you?"
I shook my head, chuckling, at the twins, who had a surprised look on their face.
I grabbed the toad from the floor and walked to the cabin where my brother was.
"Try not to lose him, please?" I said to Neville while giving him Trevor back. "I can't look out for you and your pet."
"Sorry Jynx, I promise I won't lose him again."
"Don't apologize, just don't be surprised if he gets squashed one day beneath someone's feet."
Neville looked at me with shocked eyes.
"I'm just kidding," I smiled. "Just put him back in his cage or something, okay?"
"Yeah," Neville sighed, and walked back to his seat.

I hate myself for doing this to Neville 😭 😂 I mean in the original story he had no parents, and now he has and his mother basically hates him 😭 At least he has a nice sister (I hope)