Part 1

October 21st - 2022

Current perspective - Karina "Nøkk" Gaarddhøje

Nøkk always feigned bravery when she was scared, it helped inspire her teammates. But the fear of death pales in comparison to the fear of what happens to the ones you care about afterwards. Nøkk had too much to live for to make mistakes, she had her mom, she had her cat, she had her plants. She couldn't imagine her life without them, let alone their lives without her. She snapped back to the real world. She'd been daydreaming more and more recently. The life she lived, the constant combat, the constant death; it didn't make her happy. Not anymore. She was on a bus back to the Stadium, the dane had been out getting groceries. She really wished she didn't have to go out in public to pick up everything, but no one was willing to doordash to HQ. It was like the haunted house that all the kids would be too scared to go near on Halloween.

1 HOUR LATER

Nøkk entered the stadium parking lot, she noticed a car she'd never seen before. She was always quick with small details. It was a beaten up 1970's Ford Maverick. She knew something was up, considering it for one, wasn't being towed, and two, it was far from her spot.

She groaned, she knew what this meant. She had a new teammate.

She was wearing a gray hoodie, black sweatpants, some sneakers, and a baseball cap to help conceal the top part of her face while she'd been shopping. She had a cast on her arm, there'd been an accident involving Oryx, but she knew he'd been given enough grief for injuring her, and she wasn't one to hold a grudge.

She walked inside through the nearby entrance. She realized something was wrong almost as soon as she reached her room, she had a neighbor.

They only put partners next to each other, mostly as a bonding thing. They typically hoped that they'd hang out with each other off duty, because it helped build a good working relationship.

She was genuinely annoyed at the notion that the squad leaders had given her a partner. She didn't have the time, nor the patience to train someone else, nor to put up with another person's shit.

She read the nametag inscribed on the door

"Harmaa, Josef - Utti Jaeger"

A fin? Seriously? Helsinki was practically overran by the now defeated White Masks a couple years prior, but that still wouldn't possibly give her new partner nearly enough experience to be a valuable teammate to someone like her.

"NØKK, PLEASE REPORT TO DR. KATEB'S OFFICE." A voice on the intercom ordered her.

She gave an audible sigh and left for his office.

Time - 11:57 A.M

Josef was sitting across from Gustave 'Doc' Kateb. He'd been in his chair for hours, but he didn't really care. He actually quite enjoyed the Frenchman's company. It was refreshing to be able to work with someone else who genuinely valued human life, let alone a whole squad of them.

He'd been handpicked by Kateb and Lion to be part of Wolfguard. He was to be their search and rescue expert.

Gustave had just finished going over Josef's medical history. He outlined some concerns with Josef's left knee, but it was nothing too serious.

Nøkk silently walked in and looked at Gustave

"Hey."

Josef practically jumped in surprise as the woman spoke. Had she been here the whole time?

"I have a waiting room for a reason Gaardhøj-" Doc replied before being cutoff by the soft spoken danish woman

"I don't have time to wait."

He sighed. "Thank you, Harmaa." Gustave spoke in an annoyed tone as he shook Josef's hand.

Josef got up to leave and then he realized how tall the woman was, she was an absolute mountain of a woman. A slight feeling of jealousy washed over him, as he realized how much smaller and skinnier he was compared to her

Nøkk stopped him from leaving. "Wait outside. We need to have a little chat" Josef slowly nodded, before leaving the room and waiting in the hall. He was a little intimidated, she had an angry tone, and it made him a bit worried.

He recognized her last name, was she his partner? Because, wow. He had some big shoes to fill.

Nøkk, however, was just happy to get that damn cast of her arm.

5 or so minutes later, Nøkk would walk out with a sigh.

"You uh, you said you wanted to talk to me?" Josef would ask nervously

"Yeah. I did, I'm guessing they told you that I'm supposed to train you?" Karina would respond, her eyes studying him like an Owl's

"Uh...yeah. They said something about field medicine?"

She'd sigh. "Fine. I'll try my best, but I'm not exactly used to teaching people."