Ch. 16

The entire castle was abuzz with excitement for the big ball that would kick off the holidays. Classes had been shortened tremendously, and the Great Hall was off limits while preparations were made. Students and staff were scrambling all over the place. Lunch had come and gone, and Raven was back in her dorm to put away all her books and supplies from the few classes she had earlier.

"Hope you have a lovely evening, Raven." The pure-blood turned her head toward Imelda. "I, for one, won't be attending the ball."

Raven raised a brow upon seeing her frown. "Not your thing, I presume?"

"Not just that. I don't want the headmaster thinking this little event will make up for an entire season of Quidditch canceled. I'll pack up for the school break instead."

"Well in case I don't see you later, have a Merry Christmas, Imelda."

"You too."

Raven left, stepping aside for several enthusiastic fourth-years rushing out of their room. Other than a few sour apples, everyone was overjoyed. The rest of the Slytherin students were hurrying out as well, but in the common room, Raven spotted her sweetheart amidst the crowd.

"Ominis!" she called.

The blind boy immediately stopped, a smile making its way to his face while housemates passed him by. "Raven. Got everything ready for this evening?"

"I'm working on it. I'm meeting Natty and Poppy to pick up our dresses now. And you? Have you and Sebastian gotten your suits?"

"We have. However, we have one last thing to finish preparations on." He could somehow sense the inquisitive look she was giving him. "No use dwelling on it, darling. It's a surprise."

A giggle escaped the girl. "Very well. I can hardly wait to find out. Also..." She glanced around to be sure the other students were gone before continuing. "I know you're going to look dashing in a suit." She placed a hand against the side of his face. "Not that you aren't handsome the rest of the time."

Ominis gave a light laugh. "Someone's going all out on the compliments today." He turned his head enough to kiss her palm. "I suppose I'm not one to talk when-"

Raven abruptly leaned forward to peck his lips. It took him completely by surprise, making him lose his train of thought. He knew he was most certainly blushing. To his displeasure, the girl had already stepped back away from him. She gripped her hands tight with slight nervousness, but had a giddy smile on her face while gazing at him affectionately.

Dazed, Ominis gingerly touched his lips, still imagining hers against them. "Raven...darling...d-did you just...?"

"Consider it a little motivation to make this a night to remember." She moved past him, gliding her hand across his arm as she went. "See you this evening, my dear Ominis."

She left him standing there in stunned silence. Upon leaving the common room, Raven gave herself a pat on the back. There was no way of knowing what Ominis was planning, but she made it quite clear to him that she wanted that night to be special. Considering they had yet to share their first kiss, Raven was hoping for just that. It would be the perfect setting, as long as they could find somewhere private where faculty wouldn't see them. There was no doubt the professors would be acting as chaperones to keep things civilized.

Soon enough, Raven was at Gladrags with Natty and Poppy, picking up the gowns they ordered. Poppy's dress was a pale pink with a floral pattern. Natty's was red with gold trim at the hem, sleeves and collar. And Raven's, well, hers was definitely the most expensive of the bunch.

"They're all beautiful!" Raven exclaimed.

"It is exactly the way I wanted," Natty said, looking hers over with satisfaction.