Forgotten Magic

The sharp point of the sword, almost too fine to be real, flashed back the bright light, and its blade reflected everything around it like a perfect mirror. I could almost feel its edge, without even touching it. My eyes traced the ornaments on the handle and then met their blue on the blade, where the sword's name was engraved in large letters.

Excalibur.

I reached to it. My fingers met the glass wall.

"Can I help you, miss?" A museum attendant joined me.

"Kim. My name is Kim." It just came out. You didn't normally introduce yourself here.

She said hers, but I barely heard it. I was with the sword.

"You seem interested in this fourteenth-century item."

Item. "Fourteenth century? Wouldn't it be older?" By a millennia or so.

"Not this sword. Though Arthurian legends became popular earlier, in the eleventh century, and the name Excalibur started then."

Wrong again. "Thanks. That's very informative."

She smiled. "You're welcome. If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. We're closing early today, as you were told at the entrance. In fifteen minutes. You might want to have one last look around."

"What would you recommend?" I pretended to be interested. I needed her to buy it and leave.

"Have you seen the jewelry collection in the next room? It's an absolute must! And the coins there too. You should hurry, or come again in the next couple of days. This traveling exhibition is leaving the Kelvin Hall museum next week. Can't stay in Glasgow forever, I'm afraid."

"I didn't know it was ending so soon. Thank you." I started to walk in the direction she'd pointed, but turned back once she left.

Again, I was with the sword. Was this the real Excalibur?

It could be a replica. Everything pointed to it: it looked too well kept, almost new. Also, the original sword would have been buried with Arthur. And the chances of such an artifact being here were impossible.

I had to know. I closed my eyes. My magic sensed the space around me. There were two other tourists in the adjoining room, together―a couple, maybe. An older man walked farther down. A group gathered in the room the attendant had pointed me to―probably by the jewels. And...

Seth. My heart quickened when I felt him approach. I caught the sharp scent of cologne, the strong heartbeat, and the light steps―suitable for a man who'd spent the past two and a half years as a medieval knight.

Warmth spread through me when he neared. I half turned and opened my eyes to meet his ocean-grey ones.

"Found something you like?" Seth's warm arms circled me from behind.

"Maybe." I smiled. "If it's real."

"What do you mean?" His eyes left mine and then widened when he looked at the sword. "It can't be!"

I watched as he examined the weapon.

"It looks so...unchanged. As if no time had passed since then," he said.

"It could just be a replica."

He chuckled at the disappointment in my voice. "That would still look older. But you can find out." He glanced behind us.

"I already checked the galleries. You're the only one here. And there's a big group in the other room, admiring colorful stones."

He laughed.