4 ⋆*・゚:⋆ snuffles.

Start from the beginning

"Shut up, Malfoy," he said quietly.

Hagrid was looking downcast.

"Righ' then," said Hagrid, who seemed to have lost his thread, "so—so yeh've got yer books an'—an'—nwo yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an'' get 'em. Hang on. . ."

He strode away from them into the forest and out of sight.

"God, this place is going to the dogs," said Malfoy loudly. "That oaf teaching classes, my father will have a fit when I tell him—"

"Oooh, your father? Merlin's beard, how terrifying," said Ara sarcastically.

"Careful, Black, there's a dementor behind you—"

"Oooooooh!" squealed Lavender Brown, pointing toward the opposite side of the paddock.

Trotting toward them were a dozen of the most bizarre creatures. They had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with cruel, steel-coloured beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs were half a foot long and deadly-looking. Each of the beasts had a thick leather collar around its neck, which was attached to a long chain, and the ends of all of these were held in the vast hands of Hagrid, who came jogging into the paddock behind the creatures.

"Gee up, there!" he roared, shaking the chains and urging the creatures toward the fence where the class stood. Everyone drew back slightly as Hagrid reached them and tethered the creatures to the fence.

"Hippogriffs!" Hagrid roared happily, waving a hand at them. "Beau'iful, aren' they?"

Ara watched the creatures in awe, they were truly beautiful.

"So," said Hagrid, rubbing his hands together and beaming around, "if yeh wan' ter come a bit nearer—"

No one seemed to want to go. Ara, Harry, Ron and Hermione, however, approached the fence cautiously.

"Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know abou' hippogriffs is, they're proud," said Hagrid. "Easily offended hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do."

Malfoy, Cabbe, and Goyle weren't listening; they were talking in an undertone.

"Yeh always wait fer the hippogriff ter make the firs' move," Hagrid continued. "It's polite, see? Yeh walk toward him, and yeh, bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn' bow, then get away from him sharpish, 'cause those talons hurt. Right— who wants ter go first?"

Most of the class backed farther away in answer. Even Harry, Ron and Hermione had misgivings, but Ara was still in a state of awe by the creatures, so she stayed put. The hippogriffs were tossing their fence heads and flexing their powerful wings.

"No one?" said Hagrid, with a pleading look.

Ara then turned to Harry, and a smirk began to make its way to her face.

"We'll do it," said Ara, as she grabbed Harry's hand and pulled him with her.

Harry shook his head at her but she gave him a pleading look. He sighed and reluctantly followed her, mentally cursing her for convincing him.

There was an intake of breath from behind them, and both Lavender and Parvati whispered, "Oooh, no, Ara, Harry, remember your tea leaves!"

Ara and Harry both ignored them as they climbed over the paddock fence.

"Good, you two!" roared Hagrid. "Right then—let's see how yeh get on with Buckbeak."

He united one of the chains, pulled the grey hippogriff away from its fellows, and slipped off its leather collar. The class on the other side of the paddock seemed to be holding its breath. Malfoy's eyes were narrowed maliciously.