16 | in the middle of the lift

Start from the beginning

Jean's looked down at Titans still swarming a corner, looking away from them. Then he met Y/n's eyes for just a second before he snapped his head back to the rest of the survivors, letting Y/n's arms fall. ''Everyone! Run over to HQ now!'' Jean yelled and started running. Y/n smiled and followed, no questions asked.

''Everyone, charge!''

Jean looked back to make sure Y/n was still behind him — as he did, he noticed there were less people following him than originally — but he didn't call out for her, not wanting to distract her. Marco landed next to him, grabbing his attention. ''Jean! Thanks. We got away, thanks to you.''

''Huh?''

''You pulled through for us,'' Marco said. ''I told you, didn't I? You're suited to be a leader.''

Jean chuckled. He wanted to look over his shoulder, at the one who'd actually been the one to pull through, but looked back ahead. He couldn't get distracted now. ''Well, I don't know about that!''

They were almost at HQ. Y/n jumped along with Sasha, hearing the screams behind them but not daring to turn around. She gritted her teeth as she continued propelling herself ahead. You're almost there. Don't get distracted, don't do anything reckless.

Jean was the first one to burst through the swarmed by Titans HQ windows. He rolled a few times before getting up, a sweat drop rolling down his temple as he watched Marco and Annie breaking through the windows as well. Reiner, Bertoldt, Sasha and, finally, Y/n. He let out a relieved breath. A few more cadets came through — barely anyone was left out of their original group. Jean wanted to throw up. How many died on my order, taking advantage of our comrades' deaths?

Footsteps filled his ears and he looked up. ''Jean—'' Y/n's gaze shifted from him to right. He followed her eyes and looked under the desk as well, seeing two trainees hiding.

''You guys . . . are the supply squad, right?'' Jean asked almost breathless.

''Yeah . . .''

Jean reached out to grab the boy from under the table and brought him up, then punched him with all his might. ''Jean!'' Y/n yelled, but he ignored her.

''Stop it, Jean!'' Marco grabbed him around the shoulders and pulled him back.

''These guys left us out there to die!'' Jean yelled. He couldn't think straight. Those people were cowards — what did they train three years for? ''People died in vain because of you lot!''

The girl ran out from under the desk and went over to the boy, looking up at Jean. ''Titans broke into the supply station! There was nothing we could do!''

''Did you forget it's your job to do something about that?!''

A sudden noise filled Y/n's ears. She looked through the broken windows, her eyes widening. ''GET DOWN!''

She shielded her head and dropped to her knees as the debris of the wall flew through the room. She looked up, seeing a Titan's head peering through the hole. Fuck.

''Shit, we have too many people here,'' Jean said. Everyone burst into panic, trying to run away — except, there was nowhere to run to.

Y/n hit her gas tanks. She had minimal amount of gas left. She looked up at Jean's shell-shocked face. ''Jean, I can take it out.''

His head snapped to her and he quickly shook it. ''No way.''

''Yes way. I have some gas, I can—''

''There's two Titans out there, you dumbass, there's no way.'' Jean looked back at the two faces — something that would probably haunt his dreams if he were to live. ''It's over, we're going to—''