"What were they doing?" Kenji said in a more exciting voice than a man in his late 30s should have when talking about two teenagers.

"I don't really know, but what I'm sure of was that your son's clothes were definitely not that messed up when we first arrived."

I felt my cheeks heat up at what my own mother was saying. What is wrong with these two? Nothing happened between me and Kai yesterday. Nothing. Not that I didn't want anything to happen, I was certainly about to lose it a few times whenever he got too close to me. Actually the amount of effort I had to put for my eyes to stay pinned to his and not look at his mouth was kind deserved an award. But that didn't mean they got to analyze it.

I stomped my foot on a step a little too loud for them to stop talking as I went down, "good morning!"

"Oh," Mum straightened her back on the kitchen stool, turning to me, "good morning, honey. How did you sleep?"

"Great," I smiled then lowered my eyebrows at Kenji, "hey, What are you doing up this early."

"Going to take your mum on a morning run," he smiled and nudged her upper arm with his fist, "she needs to grow some muscle."

"Rumor has it she can lift you up with a finger if she wanted to," I crossed my arms with a smile seeing his figure shift into a defensive posture.

"Even if that's true, it's all thanks to her own personal trainer who took it upon himself to make a better person of your mother since she was your age," he pointed at himself, "me."

"Uh huh," I nodded before shaking my head with a chuckle, "have fun. By the way, since you're here can you give me your keys real quick? I forgot something at your house when I was there."

"Forgot what?" Mum asked, and I didn't miss the quick glance she threw at Kenji.

"My hairbrush," I pointed at my wet hair.

"Your hairbrush?" Kenji raised an eyebrow, and I nodded, "yeah, sure. Here you go. Naz is still sleeping though, and she looked so tired yesterday so make sure not to wake her up."

"Don't worry," I took the keys from his hand, "I'll be in and out in no time."

I turned to go but Mum called after me, "hey, since you're up. Wanna join me and Kenji?"

"On a run?" I cocked an eyebrow turning my head to her.

"Yeah," she shrugged, "Kenji is not training at the academy today, and the other trainer doesn't let you do much anyway."

I tilted my head, considering. Kenji and Naz weren't training us today since they only mentor 3 days a week, but mum was right. Kenji is going to be the death of us one day because aside from him showing off half the time, this man takes his job very seriously, "okay. I'll join."

"While we're at it," Kenji started, "why don't you tell Kai to join too?"

"But isn't he sleep—" Kenji's elbow nudging her, cut my mum off and she frowned at him.

"Please wake him up," kenji smiled at me, ignoring my mum's glare that turned soft when his next words came out, "you're heading there anyway. Tell him I'll buy you guys tacos afterwards."

"You will?" I felt my face lightened up, "promise!"

"I promise," he chuckled, "just don't tell your dad."

"Cross my heart and hope to die," I put a hand on my chest before telling him I'll be right back and shut the door behind me. I knew what they were doing, they want Kai and me to spend time together however we can. It's like we don't already, I see this man more than I see my own mother, they were horrible matchmakers. I found myself not minding it now though. A) because Kenji is buying us tacos, he's literally the best Uncle there is. B) because I want to spend time with Kai however I can.