Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Dear, I understand you had a difficult start to life, but you need to respect your elders. Otherwise, you will have more difficulty with the rest of your life."

Claudia slunk down into her seat and stared out her window, forcing out a small laugh.

"Mom, please. That's enough," Kayla continued to plead. "That's not how we share Jesus with the kids."

"Oh, alright." Grandma Joy apologized to both her daughter and Claudia.

Claudia brushed it off with a "whatever."

Ben ended up switching the radio station to country since it did seem like a fair compromise, despite Mary not really being a fan. His head dropped with a limp when she said that. It seemed like no one could be pleased. Thankfully, Mary accepted listening to country music for Claudia.

Claudia thanked her. "I owe ya one."

Mary shrugged it off. "It's okay."

But Claudia wouldn't take no for an answer.

-- & --

It was almost an hour, with traffic, by the time they reached the fairgrounds near downtown Phoenix. The search for parking took another five or so minutes. It was actually surprising how busy the state fair was considering it was the last weekend. 

When everyone else was out of the jeep, Kayla showed Kimmy where to store her tablet so it couldn't be noticed and potentially stolen.

Kayla led the way to the main entrance while Ben brought up the rear to make sure no one got lost, especially since Kimmy was notorious for watching her feet when she walked and ended up walking beside her to help make sure they didn't lose her.

Grandma Joy insisted on paying for the tickets and wristbands for the kids while Kayla paid for the adults.

Since the girls wanted to go do their own thing, but neither had a watch or phone, Kayla offered to go with them. Both girls did not mind since they loved hanging out with her. So, Ben paired with Grandma Joy to take the younger kids.

He noticed Kimmy was watching Kayla and the older girls walk away. "Did you want to go with them?"

Kimmy hesitated, but nodded when Ben reaffirmed it was okay.

Ben called after Kayla, who stopped abruptly and spun on her heel. "Kimmy wants to go with you!"

Mary and Claudia both opposed the idea, thinking Kimmy would slow them down and when he asked if Kayla was getting on the rides too, they pleaded for her to say yes. She at least asked Kimmy if she wanted to get on the rides. But the adults took the hesitance as a no. Ben wasn't a fan of fair rides either, so it made more sense for Kimmy to stay with him and Grandma Joy.

Miguel took Kimmy by the hand. "Come on, Kimmy. It'll be fun," he promised optimistically. She let him guide her as they followed the adults.

Both Ben and Grandma Joy held a copy of the park map to locate where everything was, including the rides Miguel was old enough for.

Miguel pointed out the rides he had gone on the previous year when his papi took him and Mary.

Since Ben wasn't much of a rider, he waited outside the exit gate with the wagon he brought along, not only to carry the stuff they'll probably accumulate, but in case a kid got tired of walking. 

It felt sad a woman in her late fifties was more than willing to get on the rides instead of him. But, even as a kid, Ben never enjoyed the thrill of going on a ride that shoots a person into the air or in any direction. Not even the small rides kids Miguel's age could ride. He was shocked to find out Miguel did not mind them. To be fair, the kid also enjoyed doing flips on the trampoline.