02 | Lasting Impressions

En başından başla

Growing up with their grandmother wasn't the worst outcome that could've come from their mother falling off the face of the Earth. He was grateful that they didn't struggle with the hardships of adoption, but in a sense, they were still on their own because there were only so many things their elderly grandmother could do.

Twelve years ago, his grind began. He was in high school, Reyna in middle, and he was determined. He studied day in and day out to maintain his honor roll status and trained right after to become the best football player he could be. Damon considered himself a smart man, but he knew that ball was the thing he was truly great at and that it would get him and his sister everything their childhood was robbed of.

No amount of money could bring their mom back, and he wasn't sure if he wanted her back anyway, but knowing that he and his future family would be set with no worries was enough to keep him content for the rest of his life. Things like being able to send Capri to one of the top Black private schools in the country healed a part of him, his soul was at ease knowing his niece was getting a head start on a successful life, even if she didn't know it yet.

He felt like he was doing at least one thing right by her since he couldn't get her mom to remember that she existed. It wasn't that he minded being there and stepping up as a father figure for Capri, he just wanted Reyna to do her part as the one who brought her into this world. His niece didn't ask to be here and he wholeheartedly believed that she deserved to be treated like more than an afterthought.

"Uncle Dee? Are you mad?" Capri asked as he held her hand, walking her into Angelou Institute.

"Nah, I'm just tired. You had me up late watching that Miranda movie."

"It's Moana, Uncle Dee! Mo-ah-nuh." She said it slowly for him behind her little laughs. After checking in, they arrived at the office where one of the assistants was getting ready to bring Capri to her class.

He kneeled to her level, his workout shoes creasing, "Have a good day, baby girl. Don't forget to tell Ms. Jayla about your birthday party invitations, okay? Love you."

"Love you too." Capri wrapped her arms around his neck before waving goodbye and disappearing down the hallway.

His fingertips ran hot as he rapidly tapped the screen of his phone. He would call Reyna to tell her off but he knew she wouldn't answer. She probably wouldn't respond to his text message either, but there was a chance she'd read it, and he hoped that she could feel an ounce of the shame he did when he had to tell Capri she wasn't there.

Damon sighed as he made it into his car, wondering what it would take to fix this situation. As he pulled off in the direction of the Blaze's practice facility, he couldn't help but dial his little sister's number anyway.

_____________________

"Girl, what are you still doing here?" Mila heard her boss' voice come from behind her as she cleaned the tables before decorating them with a fall decor centerpiece. The one she'd just placed was a faux jar of pumpkin spice.

"I'm almost done, I just have a few tables left." Mila chuckled as she turned to her, looking down at her short self while she wore her baby in a sling. "What do you think of the place?"

"You did amazing as usual, this is why I give you the card and let you do what you do best. Thanks, Mila." Saija smiled sweetly. "How are you doing?"

"Dylan is-"

"I asked about you, Mila. Not Dylan. I already know you're doing amazing with her, but how are you?" She emphasized, knowing how easy it was to fall in the shadow of your children.