"You're amazed because you thought you were supposed to be the most powerful Telepath out there. But think about something unpredictable, Mom, because I could've been basing that off what you just said."

"That's right." Sophie still looked pale as she started thinking about something else.

It hit Savi just as fast as the first thought. "Amy Foster?" she asked softly. "Isn't that your sister?"

Sophie turned even paler. "Y-yes, it is. And... you really can read my mind. That's not supposed to be possible."

"Yet it is," Savi said softly. "Yet it is." She could feel her mother's panic radiating off her in waves even though Sophie was trying to look calm. "Oh, and, Mom? I might have manifested as an Empath earlier today."

"Savi, you're eleven. You just manifested three abilities within a month!" Sophie said disbelievingly.

"Yeah. I suppose so."

"You suppose so," said Sophie with wonder. "Well... I'll talk to Keefe about this."

"Good idea," said Savi bleakly.

"Well, have some breakfast. Sorry – I couldn't think of anything I wanted to eat except for mallowmelt."

"Are you kidding? Mom, this is my dream breakfast." Savi stuffed a whole bunch of mallowmelt into her mouth and polished off the entire tray. "Okay, bye! Thanks, Mom." And she hugged Sophie before she left.

It felt weird and awkward at the same time, hugging Sophie. But even so, it felt right. Like that was what she was supposed to do. When was the last time she'd hugged her mother for real?

A long time.

She reached school in slightly higher spirits than usual and was over the roof when she came in top for the potion that day. Lady Galvin said that she was the 'total opposite of her mother', and honestly? Savi didn't mind.

"So... topping alchemy, huh?" Via cornered her after the end of alchemy, watching her intently. "I'm surprised. I honestly thought it would be me – not trying to have a big head or anything. But my grandfather is the alchemist."

"And you don't have photographic memory," Savi answered.

Via blinked. "How does photographic memory help in alchemy?"

"Well, for one, I don't have to keep double-checking with the whiteboard."

Via flushed crimson, because she had indeed checked the whiteboard at least forty times that lesson, trying to get her potion perfect and best Savi. As a result, she hadn't finished her potion in time and Lady Galvin had failed her.

"I was trying to play safe," Via said.

"Well, nice try," Savi responded.

Via looked at her a little worriedly. "We're still friends, Savi. You don't have to go all cold and sarcastic."

"Really? Real friend you were during the first week."

"Savi, you blocked everyone out," Via said unhappily. "Also?" She lowered her voice as Cerulean passed. "What's with you and Tsynis?"

"See you at lunch, Savi?" Cerulean called, since they had ability training next.

"Yeah, bye."