Chapter 2: Reality call

Under a slow, steady drizzle, the sun struggled to pierce through the veils of grey clouds, casting a muted glow upon the ruins of what was once a bustling city.

The cracked asphalt roads cradled the remains of cars and vehicles, relics of a hurried escape attempted by their forsaken owners. The crossroads were marked by abounded houses and looming buildings, their broken windows and torn facades a haunting testimony to a once-vibrant past. These structures, where families once found happiness and joy, were now left at the mercy of nature's reclamation.

Perched atop a toppled bus, a solitary figure stood unfazed. His short, dark hair remained slightly damp, framing vibrant green eyes that scanned the desolate surroundings. The breeze toyed with the long ends of his uniform, causing the fabric to sway gently as he quietly observed the eerie silence.

"Private Hyakuya!" a voice called out, causing the boy, Yuu, to turn around, meeting the frantic gaze of one of his supervisors. "You can't just bolt off like that! First the horseman incident, now this! You're completely disregarding our warnings!"
With a groan, Yuu turned his gaze back to the wasteland. "I didn't do anything wrong. I took down that thing in a flash."
"It's not just about that..." The man tasked with overseeing the kid let out a heavy sigh. "We're heading back to headquarters immediately. I'll need to report your reckless behavior to the colonel."

"Report to Guren? He's not my babysitter," he grumbled, jumping down on the ground. "I'm just doing what's needed. If he doesn't see it, that's on him."
Yuu sauntered forward, making his way towards the southern part of the city, nonchalantly brushing off the desperate calls of his frustrated superior.

"Hey! Hold on! Where do you think you're headed?!"

With a small grin playing on his lips, Yuu glanced back, his expression tinged with cockiness. "Just going for a bit of scouting. I doubt Guren will approve another trip after today anyway."

Shaking off his annoying superiors, Yuu strolled through the desolate streets, walking past rundown convenience stores and abandoned cafes

Shaking off his annoying superiors, Yuu strolled through the desolate streets, walking past rundown convenience stores and abandoned cafes. Faded signs, shattered windows, and interiors cloaked in dust marked these once lively spots.

Absentmindedly humming to himself, the boy scanned his surroundings, a sense of boredom evident in his demeanor. He had little hope of encountering any vampires in this area since it was close to Shibuya, yet he would rather wander aimlessly than return to the headquarters early.
He knew Guren will nag him once he goes back, so he decided to seize this opportunity rather than strictly follow his supervisors' orders.

While wandering, his attention was drawn to a small, dilapidated park. There, a massive crater from a past explosion had captured rainwater, forming an artificial, rain-filled lake. Not something Yuu would typically notice, but when he caught sight of a dark outline near the muddy lake's shore, he stopped in his tracks.

"Huh?" Yuu squinted, trying to discern what it could be.
Spotting what seemed to be a body sprawled on the ground, he rushed towards it without a second thought. "Hey! You okay?!" he shouted, racing closer to check on the person.
People were rarely found outside the walls. The vampires would swiftly capture anyone they found, or worse, they'd fall prey to the horsemen. Kneeling down, he turned the person over, revealing a young woman. Seeing his hands stained with her blood, he leaned in, pressing his ear against her chest in an attempt to listen for a heartbeat. Miraculously she was still alive.