06 | It Takes A Village

Start from the beginning

"You seem to be in a good mood." Orlando smiled watching as I joined him for a seat. "I am in a good mood." I smiled folding my hands on the table.

"Any good news about the trial?" I asked as he passed me a container of my mom's peach cobbler. Over the past two months, he would sometimes bring in some of my favorite foods when something was going good.

"So, we have a date. But it's about two to three more months from now." I immediately stopped the fork from entering my mouth as I stared up at him.

"Orlando, I've been in here for three months already." I said closing the container and setting the fork down. "There has to be a closer date they can set this too. I need to be with my children. Who knows when Owen will—

"I'm not gonna let him hurt you or those kids." He said interrupting me. "Now, I know this isn't easy for you but you have to be patient, Micky. I'm doing the best that I can. But I need to make sure I have all the evidence I need against my brother in order for you to be released."

I nodded my head and placed my hand on top of his. "And I thank you dearly for looking out for us. I don't know how I could ever repay you for all that you've done and are doing." I then removed my hand as I thought about all that happened over the last two months.

He was working hard to find out exactly where Owen had vanished to, he helped out my parents with the kids, and found a place for Sticky when she'd get out of her.

She only had one more month until she delivered her baby and I knew she feared having to give her or him up. So my parents had volunteered to keep her child until her release.

These three months hadn't been easy but I was thankful for my village. When I thought I had lost it all and that I was alone, my family showed up and showed out and showed me that I always had and always will have them.

"I know this is asking for a lot, but just trust me, please? Things are falling into place just as they need to." He reassured me. He then smiled, "Lil man started taking a few steps." He said handing me his phone as the screen showed Malachai taking his first steps. I immediately covered my mouth as I watched my baby walk for the first time. I could hear my mom encouraging him to walk over to her while my dad was the one recording.

 I could hear my mom encouraging him to walk over to her while my dad was the one recording

"Look at his face. He's so shocked he can walk, now." I laughed through the tears. Malachai had just turned 10 months, and I was praying that I would be out in time to see my little man grow. To see all of my kids grow.

Oakland had completed a program that allowed her to skip a grade. So she would be starting high school this month. I just prayed that she would be fine. High school was a whole different ball game from middle school.

"Now that there's a smile back on your face," Orlando started as I handed him back his phone and he pushed the peach cobbler back over to me and pulled a fork out of his pocket.

"Now come on, I been waiting two hours to eat some of your mama peach cobbler." He said as we laughed. "Oh nah, play boy." I popped his hand and pulled the container even closer to me. "My mama made me this. This is all mine." I shooed him away as I laughed watching him fake pout.

"And here I thought we were family."

"Oh hush up, you big baby. Don't take no big piece either." We laughed as we enjoyed and savored the taste of the sweet treat. It wasn't long before I was back on the other side.

"Does this jumpsuit make me look big?" Sticky asked as she posed for me. I looked up from my book as I laughed. "Sticky, you've been about the same size for the past month now. Baby girl is just growing. You look fine, sweet pea." I told her as I focused back on my book.

"I'm due in a month. I still haven't thought of a name for her yet." She said as she leaned against my cell and rubbed over her belly.

I tossed my book to the side and looked over at her, giving her my full attention. "Do you have anyone special from your childhood that you might want to name her after? Or what's something you want your daughter to always remember?" I asked.

She chuckled, "You're really the only person who ever stuck by me fr. And your family at that. Once they get done visit you they visit me. I came in here just me and my baby girl and now I'll be leaving with a village. " She said as she smiled at me.

"I want my daughter to remember the scarifies I made for us because I thought that's what was best for us at the time. I also want her to remember that she's never alone. I want her name to mean something, you know?" She asked.

I sat for a few seconds as I thought about what she had just said. "Come on." I finally spoke as I stood and grabbed her hand leading her with me.

We entered the library section of the jail as I sat down at a computer and pulled her a seat next to me. "What are you doing?" She asked as I begin typing.

"Trying to find my niece a name."

"Something meaningful and cute right?" I asked as I looked over at her before back at the screen as I kept typing.

"Yes, but something Spanish as well. Gotta give my bebé her roots."

I nodded my head as I clicked on a website showcasing a bunch of different Spanish girl names. "You know, you never told me what you're real name is. " I said as we scrolled past some names.

"Cataleya Vergara." She smiled. "My mama use to say how when they lived in Costa Rica that my dad would surprise her with Cattleya flowers."

I smiled, "Whatever happened to your parents? If you don't mind me asking."

She wiped a stray tear before looking over at me. "My papa died and my mom turned to drugs. I then ended up in foster care when I was 10 years old. I haven't seen or heard from her since."

"I'm sorry. Did you ever try to look for her?" I asked placing one of my hands on her back to soothe her.

"Once. I couldn't handle what I saw. So I just stopped looking." She then wiped her eyes and plastered on a smile. "These hormones are making me so emotional. Let's get back to these names." She chuckled, turning her attention towards the computer.

Instead of saying anything else, I respected her wishes and continued searching with her. "What about Eliana? It means my God has answered. Or Audry? That one means noble strength."

"How about this one?" She pointed at the one that read, 'Xiomara'. "It's modern and it means ready for battle. "

"Ooh I like that. What about a middle name?" I asked looking for more names. Once she didn't answer I looked back over to her to see her smiling at me. "What?" I chuckled.

"She'll be named after her Tiá, Xiomara Micaela Vergara." She smiled placing my hand on her belly. I looked down at her growing bump before back up at her with tears in my eyes.

"You think pregnant hormones are contagious?" I faked sniffled as we laughed. We spent the next few minutes just spending time in the library before it was time to go eat.

A/N:

Thoughts on chapter 6?👀❤️

So how was everyone's Thanksgiving?🙃🫶🏾

My grandma ain't make her sweet potato pie, what am I supposed to eat my macaroni and cheese with??🙄😭😭

Anywho, love you guys🙃 stay tuned for the next chapter😉