06 | It Takes A Village

Start from the beginning

"No, sir. I don't drink. A water will be fine." Orlando took off his coat as Shiloh left his cooler and dug around in the kids. "Will a capri sun do?" Shiloh smirked as Orlando laughed.

"As long as it's Kiwi Strawberry." They laughed together before Shiloh threw it to him and joined him for a seat across from him.

A couple of minutes went by before Shiloh had finally spoke up. "Do you—Do you think he'll come back for her?"

Orlando drunk some his juice before clearing his throat to respond

Orlando drunk some his juice before clearing his throat to respond. "To be honest, I'm not really sure if Owen would ever come back. But believe when I say that I am doing my best to bring your daughter home." He reassured him.

Shiloh nodded his head. "Thank you for all that you're doing. I know this isn't exactly easy for you either. How are you holding up?"

Orlando sighed as he ran his hand down his face and sat back in his chair. "Honestly? I don't know. I find my twin brother only to be told he's dead and then find out that he isn't actually dead, I also believe he killed his ex wife and unborn child, I have a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews that I haven't known about for 13 years, then that sister-in-law tells me something that my own parents never have—

He stopped once he realized he was rambling. But Shiloh never once gave him a judgmental stare. Without saying another word, he got up from his seat and went to sit next to Orlando, pulling him in for a hug.

There the two sat in silence as Orlando softly cried. Letting out all of the built up anger he was harboring, towards his father, his brother, and even his mother.

There was still more healing that Orlando had to endure. But he was thankful that he had a shoulder to cry on. Over the past few days, Shiloh had been more of a father to him then his own father ever had. And he was truly thankful.

Susan watched from the kitchen sink window at the two and smiled. She knew firsthand how it felt to be loved by her husband. So she knew Orlando was indulging in every minute of it. She could tell he probably rarely ever had that before. Someone to listen as he poured his heart out.

The two gentlemen spent the next two hours just talking and listening to one another while Susan cooked away in the kitchen. Thankful that she was free of her grandkids for today. Susan loved her grandchildren dearly but she also enjoyed this small two-day break, Shiloh's mother, Rose, had granted her.

Two Months Later
Micaela "Micky" McDonald
Quaker Field, Virginia
August 8th, 2023

Two Months LaterMicaela "Micky" McDonaldQuaker Field, VirginiaAugust 8th, 2023