~3~

~Caroline~ 

After my dress from the surprising and very fruitful dinner was stripped away I got into the steaming, hot water and sank down in it to my nose.

It had been an alright day, despite the unexpected visit from Dennis Rhodes. It had just been long. Whether I liked it or not I was going to have to deal with all of that mess. Sooner or later...it was definitely going to have to be later. 

Everything else aside, the bath felt fantastic. My skin was tingling from the hotness of it and I knew if I stayed in for long I would pass right out in the water. Did I care though? Absolutely not. So I closed my eyes and rested my head on the edge of the tub. I was beat and the day that had been all about my R and R would be complete once I was in bed and sleeping. Tomorrow I was going to sleep in again. Didn't care. 

"You're beautiful." Sol's voice interrupted my thoughts and relaxation and I opened my eyes to find him standing just in the doorway of the bathroom. He was holding a glass of wine in his hand. He was beautiful. 

~Sol~ 

Years ago, I would have already demanded Caroline explain herself when I caught her in a lie. Hell, two days ago I would have, but I was walking on thin ice with her at the moment so maybe after I gave her the right kind of attention and crawled my ass back out of the hole I was halfway in, I would ask her why she had lied about Jocelyn coming over. 

It absolutely irritated my fucking soul to know that a man-one of which I did not recognize-had been in my kitchen this afternoon and my wife had lied about it. Later. We could deal with that later. 

"You're supposed to be downstairs..." was Caroline's reply. I stood there for a minute just looking at her. All of her curls were pinned to the top of her head and her cheeks were pink-probably from the bath. I fucking needed her and if it meant backing off a little to get her, so be it. I had to do everything on her time and approval or she would just push me away further. Time to think with your brain not your dick, jackass. 

"Just thought I would bring you a drink." I walked all the way in, to the bathtub where she was buried in bubbles and thankfully she didn't argue when I held out the drink. She just took it. I knelt by the tub and watched her lift the wine glass to her lips. She was a novelty. "Found a better bottle in the pantry." A bottle reserved for a celebration. 

"Thank you. It's good." Of course it was good. It was expensive wine. I couldn't allow myself to get her something that wasn't the best. For a minute she sipped the wine then finally set the glass on the edge of the tub. "Are you going to watch me?" She finally asked.

"Is that what you want? You can have whatever you want, baby. You just have to ask." She could always have whatever she wanted. Caroline sighed softly at that and I fully expected her to demand I tell her about my business with Lenny. The truth was, it was harmless. Sometimes he looked into things for me, but I mostly spent time with the guy because we had built a friendship...

"Chocolate?" When her brow lifted, I chuckled.

"You want chocolate?"

"Mmm. I'll just settle for the wine." I liked the sound of that. Her eyes followed me when I stood up. The necklace I had shopped for this morning was in my pocket and I pulled it out. Her mouth opened-probably to protest-but I didn't let that happen.

"I want you to have it. It isn't a bribe, by any means. Let me put it on and I'll leave you to your bath and wine," I promised. Caroline sighed again but sat up in the tub, giving me access to her neck. As soon as it was clasped her hand went up to touch the diamonds. "Beautiful." I couldn't help myself...I leaned in and kissed the hell out of her until we had to stop and breathe.