The Guy at Auction

MANVI

"What brings us here?" Even though I wasn't even in the mood for the club, I yelled at my work best friend for taking me. I had had a difficult year. There had not even been a quiet moment for me. First and foremost, there is my mother's illness; I shifted three times in a short period of time; my brother has college expenses; and, to top it all off, I recently broke up. Everything was out of control! My whole life was out of balance.

Coming from New Delhi to New York wasn't a cakewalk, which I don't know why others consider it.  I had to struggle with society, my family, and my friends just to achieve my one big dream. It's not easy to stay alone. I am not enjoying any kind of fantasy land over here. There are so many struggles that one faces. When you are happy, you don't have anyone to share things with. When you are in pain, you have to wipe your own tears. If you fall ill, you have to take care of yourself. If you want to celebrate, you don't have people around you. It's too difficult; you have to do everything on your own, right from cooking to cleaning your own dishes. I just don't know why people can't understand the same.

I could only think of one face—a smiling face—that I loved for the new girl in town. Karan, my closest friend in school I unexpectedly ran into him a few years ago, and he assisted me in getting settled in my new rental home. He is kind and empathetic. He was the only person who could make me feel like I was never far from home, so I loved him. Our friendship quickly developed into love, and our relationship was blossoming. Up until the day I discovered he was unfaithful to me. That's when I realised that all I was to him was a means of passing the time. I lost all faith in people, and my heart broke into a million pieces.

"Ruhaan, what are we doing here? Why did you draw me into this group of people?" I yelled at my work buddy once more for putting me in that situation.

He said to me, "Because you need it, Manu," and extended his hand to take a drink. He continued to smile despite my glare at him.

"Stop giving me that look; I know something's going on in your head!" I muttered in annoyance.

He smiled broadly and said, "That's a surprise for you," before taking another sip of his drink. I grabbed the drink out of his hand and set it on the bar counter before he could shove it down his throat.

"What's up, Ruhaan Randhawa? What's going on in your head?" I asked sternly as I folded my arms.

"Okay, cool down, lady! I'll tell you."

He handed me a piece of paper that he had taken out of his pocket. It was an auction advertisement. As I read on, my eyes got bigger.

"He's mad! He's totally mad!" I screamed.

Ruhaan stopped me from screaming by putting a hand over my mouth.

Are you crazy? People will assume that I'm mistreating you, so why are you screaming so loudly?" Ruhaan enquired.

"This man has placed himself for a date at the auction, and why are you showing this to me?" When I asked, he gave me another of his signature smiles.

"Stop smiling like a fool and answer me," I demanded.

"I won the auction" he giggled.

"Are you going to...?" my eyes widened.

"Mad or what? I am happy with my girlfriend, Naisha. I stole the auction for you."

"Wh--What? For me!" I gasped as he announced it, and he nodded again at me.

"What nonsense! It's a very bad joke, Ruhaan!" I said annoyedly.

"It's certainly not a joke, Manu; you are going on a date with him," he replied

"But!"

"No, but... there he's standing there," he said, pointing to the guy.