06. You Can't Catch Me

Start from the beginning

Not only had the tears that were flowing down my cheeks increased, but the sudden need for rain had appeared. It felt like a scene from a movie almost. The same movies that I had watched in the comfort of my bedroom, while I had plugged in my headphones so I could stop hearing the yelling that my parents did about me and who I had become. 

I watched, as the figure had finally made it up the driveway, and was now millimeters from grabbing the gun from my brothers hand. Once Hugo had grabbed it, and thrown it away, before he was strangling my brother, I ran. I grabbed the gun, making sure that it was on safety, before I was running. 

I could hear my brother screaming and yelling, mixed with my mother yelling at me to come back inside, but it was just something I didn't care to listen to anymore. I ran into his arms, as he pulled me into him, tightly, before he was folding my shivering form into the backseat of the car. He climbed in, as we awaited for Hugo to come back from strangling my brother. 

My shivering body would not move, as I watched Hugo run back to the car in the pouring rain, after he had pushed my brother inside, after checking that he had no weapons on him. Hugo was a good person for checking that my brother could not kill someone else today, unlike me who was still holding his gun. 

I couldn't move my grip on the gun, as it was surprisingly heavy. For the first time in 15 years, I was holding a gun, that was presumable under my brothers name. It was the same gun that he had just pointed at me, only minuets ago. I didn't feel comfortable with that knowledge, nor could I drop the gun into someone else's possession. 

Hearing the car door open, and close, I knew Hugo had slid into the passenger seat. I didn't move, not even when Teddy had wrapped his arm around my shoulders, secretly trying to distract me so that I would let go of the gun. I was so paralyzed, that I couldn't take my eyes off my own front door, and when I felt a hand on my wrist, I jumped, but still didn't take my gaze away. 

I just couldn't. The fear was consuming me, that my brother could storm out that front door, and charge towards me with a hundred bullets and guns, just because today he decided that I deserved to die in my own house. He didn't like me, so that meant that killing me was the easiest thing, as he had ignored me my entire life. 

"Eve, can I have the gun?" immediately, I shook my head at Hugo, who had turned in his seat to face me. I didn't trust anyone to have the gun, besides me. This gun was something that could end my life in a second, and I didn't want anyone to have it. I didn't want anyone else to have the power to stand in front of me, and shove a gun in my face. 

Today, Elijah showed me how much power and control he had over me. But now, I had run away, so that he couldn't catch me, and strangle me before he would point another gun in my face. "Eve" the sympathy that was in his tone made me want to divert my gaze away from the spot in the windshield that I was staring a burning hole through. 

A soothing hand met my cold shoulder, as he pulled my tired body into his, immediately warming me up. As much as I didn't want to, I curled up into his body, tucking my legs underneath me as I laid my head down in his lap. I felt comfortable enough to do this, so when I handed the gun to Hugo, I felt my entire body collapse. 

My eyes shut, as I felt the soothing hand continue to run up and down my back, which was enough to put me to sleep. To put my racing mind to bed for a little while, and so that I could forget about what had happened last night and just this morning, in my own house, which was just house, a building, but never a home to me. It never had been a home and never will be one to me. 

---

Waking up, in a completely unfamiliar place, with unfamiliar things going on around me, set immediate panic through my entire body. I could feel someone's arms wrapped around me from behind, which made me panic even more. What happens if this was my brothers plan all along, to just catch me, right here in his arms.