1✍️

23 July, 2032. Mumbai

"Ro calm down." Ritika said rubbing her palm on his, calming him with his third night mare this week.

Rohit who was breathing heavily and sweating at the same time said nothing but looked on towards the window.

"It was them again, right?" Ritika asked even though she knew the answer.
Rohit replied in a nod.

"It's been nine years Ro, let it go, just call him once."

"Ritika..." Rohit retaliated.

She shook her head in disbelief.

"You should go to sleep, I am fine, I will just get some fresh air." Rohit assured her.

He came out and the dramatic Mumbai weather greeted him. It wasn't raining, but the raging winds from Arabian Sea were certainly pointing to something else.
He closed his eyes to feel them.

Rohit's eyes screamed disappointment. He couldn't believe what his ears were hearing. It can't be his Vi. They were winning together. They lost together. 15 men as one. How could he say this?

"Rohit it's not like what you are thinking. I did not mean that." Virat said in a dead serious tone.

"Was it so easy for you Virat?" Rohit was definitely hurt.
"You demeaned me to prove your point."

Rohit's tone was accusing.
"Ro, galat soch raha hai tu." Virat tried convincing him again but Rohit just shook his head in denial to anger Virat even more.
"Samjhta kyun nhi hai tu." This time Virat literally shouted.

"Samajh hi toh gya hu." Rohit said and left for his room.

"Ritika." Rohit called out.
"Ritika!"

"What is wrong Ro, Sammy is sleeping." Ritika whispered.

"We are leaving right now." Rohit said firmly.

"Come on Ro, it's 2 a.m. I know it's not easy for you. But it's neither sensible to leave for Mumbai at this hour." Ritika said calmly.

"I don't want to say here Rits. I don't want be here for a moment." Rohit sounded vulnerable.
"I have arranged the ride, let's go."

Ritika understood something wasn't right.
"Alright."

Next morning, was like usual day in Sharma house. Rohit bickering with Sammy regarding tennis, Ritika handling her two kids.

"Can you two, just not do this in morning?" Ritika rolled her eyes.

"Tell your husband to accept Djokovic was THE BEST!" Samaira said crossing her arms.

"Stop these jokes, Sam, NADAL! That's it." Rohit joined too.

"Don't you have school?" Ritika raised an eyebrow at Sammy.

"Mom it's Sunday." Samaira said shrugging.
"How did you forget?"

How did Ritika forget? That's not how it used to be. Rohit was never up this early on Sundays. A lot changed in nine years. The worst of all, her husband's habits. The child in Rohit was lost.

"Mamma." Sammy snapped in front of Rits' eyes bringing her out of thoughts. "You there?"

"You see, there are no day offs for mamma I can't keep track of sundays. Every day is just the same." Ritika sighed.

"Can I disturb this family morning?" Shreyas came from the already open door.

"You do this literally every morning from last 9 years." Rohit rolled his eyes.

"What brought you here so early?" Ritika asked with her ever radiant smile.

"Actually, I want to invite you guys." Shreyas grimaced and walk towards Rohit.
"Rohit bhau, you have always been my elder brother all these year."

"Why are you talking like that?" Rohit asked.

"Actually.. umm.." Shreyas hesitated a bit.

"I am going in. Elders talk I guess." Samaira told and went to her room.
Ritika's eyes saddened at how her kid at just 14 have turned more mature for her age.

"Bhai, it's been 9 years since you left the team, and 15 since I have been playing. I think it's time to call quit." Shreyas said and both Rohit and Ritika's eyes widened.

"What are you saying?" Rohit asked.

"I think I have had a fulfilled career and I talked this out with Trisha too." Shreyas was serious.
"I have no regrets leaving. Everything has a right time, and that is mine. I am grateful for everything I have had. And you know Bhai there is no one whom I admire and respect as much as I respect you. I want you come become part of a small gathering. You know, come, celebrate with my career."

Shreyas had a lots of hope in his eyes. He knew it was tough. A lot of people there were those who Rohit left behind. And it is impossible to convince Rohit Sharma to come back to the streets he once left. All his kids were grown now. Some retired, some were getting there gradually.

"Shrey, nahi." Rohit's response was as cold as ice.
"I cannot be around them again."

"Virat bhai is not coming." Shreyas said and immediately regretted. You don't take that name in front of Ro anymore.

"Shreyas. Good luck for your second innings." Rohit said and left.

"Shreyas, I am sorry." Ritika said sadly. "You know he won't get back there. You know he won't. And you know him more than anyone does right now, ofcourse you chose to be with him all those years."

"I wish I had been there that night." Shreyas looked at floor.

"It's not your fault. It's mine, I shouldn't have come back to Mumbai that night. I should have waited till morning." Ritika's eyes started to well up.

"Let's not blame anyone." Shreyas said looking back at her again.
"I would have really loved if you guys came. But, it's fine. I understand Rohit Bhai's situation too."

Ritika gave him a positive nod.

"And maybe we can have this neighbour potluck some day. Please ask Sammy to make those pancakes." Shreyas said in a childish tone.

Sammy came out after a while, when Shreyas had left.

"Mamma, what is it that's bothering you all since nine years?" Sammy asked even though she knew this is pointless.

"Sammy." Ritika looked at her, having no explanation as usual.
"It's nothing."

"It's ofcourse 'not nothing'. I just know there was a time we all used to be happy and now it is all lost." Sammy said.

"You will know when the time is right." Ritika said lowly and looked towards the weather getting worse outside.

"Dramatic." She sighed.

~

Upvote and drop your valuable comments.
Suggestions and healthy criticism is most welcomed.
Yours Rii <3