Shadows of Ourselves

En başından başla

They shared a heartfelt hug, and Maxi whispered her gratitude.

***

Ruth had been waiting for what felt like eternity. He somehow felt bad for what had happened to Maxi although he knew that it wasn't his fault that Riftan had such a temper.
Leaning against the door to Bell's chambers, he jumped slightly as he heard her footsteps echo through the hallway.

He approached her and immediately inquired, "Is everything alright?" His concern was evident as he waited for her response.

"Yes, all good," Bell replied, and Ruth, noticing her guarded demeanor, stepped closer with a frown. "You know I can tell when you're lying," he observed, scanning her face.

"I know," she admitted with a smile. "You're not going to tell me," he sighed, looking down.

"Don't worry, Ruth. You didn't do anything wrong," she reassured him touching his arm gently. He shuddered slightly to her touch and a weak smile played on his lips, accepting the unspoken understanding between them.

His gaze met hers and he realized that she had a hurt look in her eyes. He lifted his hand and gently caressed the side of her cheek. She closed her eyes leaning into his touch and enjoying it's comfort.

***

Under the cloak of night, Bell found herself immersed in the hushed contemplation of her thoughts, her gaze fixed on a distant horizon.

The intricacies of her emotions weighed heavily on her, far more complex than she had initially anticipated. The fear of rejection and the sting of potential hurt kept her from approaching Ruth. Frustration surged within her, and she clenched her fists, vexed by her own hesitation.

Reflecting on the previous evening spent in Ruth's tower, doubts clouded her mind. Did he truly lean in, attempting to kiss her, or was it a misinterpretation of his gestures? The uncertainty gnawed at her sanity, driving her to the brink.

"He's driving me crazy," she admitted to the silent night.

Contemplating the notion of burying her feelings, relegating them to silent echoes in the recesses of her heart, a quiet resilience stirred within her. Instead of suppression, she chose to channel her emotions into appreciating the unique bond they shared as friends.

With a determined sigh, she acknowledged the uncertainty that surrounded them but embraced the possibility that love could manifest in myriad forms. "What is, is, and what will be, will be," she murmured to the starlit sky, finding solace in the acceptance of the unknown.

***

Belisent stormed into the dining hall towards Maxi, pulling her by her wrist out of the hall into the corridor. Maxi squeaked startled by  the actions of her sister-in-law and the strange look on Bell's face, who was now leaning to the side, peering into the dining hall. Maxi leaned in, following Bell's gaze.

"W-what are w-we looking at?", Maxi asked and Bell frowned motioning her head towards Ruth who was entering the dining hall. He was in company, smiling at his conversation partner. They seemed to enjoy themselves.

"Who is she?", Bell inquired and Maxi could see daggers shooting from Bell's eyes. "U-umm.... T-that is A-Asterin. S-she's a merchant s-specialized on... m-magic supplies." - "Magic supplies? I have never seen her here before." - "R-Ruth brought h-her to h-his tower only r-recently..." Bells head shot to the side and Maxi gulped as Bell hissed: "He did what?!" - "A-are you.. o-okay?" Bells face dropped realizing her mental state: "I don't know. Shit, they are coming this way!", Bell panicked and took a leap up the wall, pulling herself up onto the window, opening it and vanishing. Maxi blinked a few times as Ruth and Asterin passed her. "My lady? Is everything alright?", Ruth tilted his head slightly and Maxi pursed her lips: "Umm.. I think s-so... the w-window is o-open.", she muttered and Ruth's gaze wandered up to the open window.  "How strange.", he lifted his hand and casted a spell to close the window. "Wow, that was amazing!", Asterin beamed at Ruth who ignored her comment and continued his stroll with Asterin following him.

Bell balanced along the castles outer walls, skillfully swinging herself through another window back into the building directly in front of Asterin and Ruth, who dropped his manuscripts in shock of the sudden appearance: "Are you out of your mind?! Why don't you use doors like everyone else?!" Asterin bent down and stared to collect the manuscripts for Ruth while Bell quickly turned on her heel, rushing away mumbling: „I gotta go!"

„That was rude...", Asterin commented as Ruth scratched his head watching Bell leave before continuing his order for new magic supplies from Asterin.

***

„Damn it!!!", Bell ruffled her hair as she walked in circles around her room. She couldn't deny it - the sight of Ruth with another woman made her feel uncomfortable, uneasy, unsettled.

She was jealous, she had to admit that to herself and she hated it.

It was an ugly feeling and she decided to push it down. Her pride was too strong to let her succumb to this feeling, but it left her contemplating on how to deal with that she felt for the mage.