Elam

Riftan was eager to finally hear Bell's report of the south exploration.

He was seated at the big round massive table in the middle of the counsil hall, drumming his fingers impatiently on the massiv wood, groaning: „What is taking her so long...". Ruth sighed in response: „You really are impatient, my Lord."

Next to them were a few of the closest Remdragon Knights and the second and third commanders of the South Brigade, Maevis and Tylena.

The doors finally opened and servants carried loads of different goods inside. There were baskets of weird fruit, pastries and other dishes, piles of books and maps, tons of bags and all other sorts of exotic unknown things.

Ruth's eyes were sparkling with excitement: „Look at all those goods!"

„Don't get so eager, sorceror!", Sir Hebaron scolded him.

Bell entered the hall as last. She was wearing tight grey pants stuffed into black leather boots with a small heel. A dark grey skirt hung over her waist and thighs making her look more feminine, yet giving her enough space to move freely. She accentuated her waist with a small belt and a long dark blue cloak fell over her back.

Her hair was in a half updo, her waves falling gently down her shoulders.

„Hm? Where's Lady Maximilian?", she asked when she realized that the Lady was missing.

„I first want to make sure that your report is not disturbing or worring.", Riftan answered sternly.

„She is your wife, Rif. Better treat her like that and not like a baby!", Bell scoffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

„How dare you talk to our Lord like that!", one of the knights stood up and slammed his fist on the table.

Bell shot him a glare: „Come here, if you have a problem with that!", she answered, her eyebrow twitching aggressively.

„Stop it, you don't stand a chance against my sister.", Riftan was massaging the spot between his eyes in annoyance: „Fine. Get Maxi, please.", he called for the servant and sighed.

He had to admit that Bell was right about that. He should treat his precious wife like his wife and not like a baby.

„Alright! Since we are all present now, allow me to report about our exploration.", Bell began, arms crossed behind her back.

„As you may know our main goal here was to find out more about our father. We thought that our father was a low born knight from the south who ended up here with our mother after a long journey. Before leaving us, he gave Lord Riftan a small brooch with strange emblem. After decades of research we found a hint of its origin. It took us years of research and preparation, before we started the journey of exploring the south. I can assure you that we ended up even more south than any of you can imagine - in the foreign land called Perseus. You have to cross the great ocean for several weeks and ride your horses through death zones of hot sand with no water or plants to spend shelter until you arrive at the great walls of the Sultanat Elam. That is where father came from.

Elam has impressive fortifications and architectural structures. One notable example is the city of Susa, which serves as a significant center for the Elamites.

One of the remarkable structures in Susa is the Apadana, a large palace complex built by Darius I of Perseus. The Apadana features grand halls, courtyards, and intricate carvings. Another notable architectural accomplishment in Elam was the ziggurat at Chogha Zanbil, constructed by King Untash-Napirisha, our fathers brother. This ziggurat, a stepped pyramid, serves as a religious center and displays advanced architectural techniques.

Father was the third son of King Shutruk. As his older brother, the current King, Untash, was to follow the reign, father had no interest in staying with the royal family and urged traveling the world. The brooch is prove that he was a member of the royal family."

„So... what you're saying is... that Lord Riftan and you actually descend from a royal family?", Sir Gabel asked.

„Initially, we are decendents of the great founder of the Sultanat Elam, we come from the aristocratic royal family itself. King Untash didn't know about us but immediatley saw the family resamblance. He knew that his brother had died somewhere in a foreign land. He had sent for him, but couldn't find his whereabouts.

The king had my blood checked by the highest priest to confirm my identity. He was truly stunned when he discovered that father had Riftan and me. He wanted to know everything about us and about Anatol. I was happy to share our story and Riftans accomplishments as Lord of Anatol and Commander of the Remdragon Knights.

Rif, this is for you, a gift from King Untash himself."

Bell got a golden brooch with the same ornament his father's brooch held and gave it to Riftan: „This is to acknowledge your heritage.", she smiled and then continued.

„The people of Elam mastered the art of watering systems. They have built an aqueduct that ensures their water supply. I have never seen such a thing before.", Bell showed them a concept paper of Elam's aqueduct.

„Their Culture is quite different. They have another religion and magic is very common in Elam, too, although they practice it far more freely. There is no such thing as a mage tower there.", Bell stepped forward: „And...", she made a dramatic pause before going on: „They're interested in trading with us.", she grinned and pulled out a letter with a royal seal, handing it over to Riftan: "They're interested in herbs, magic stones and monsters bones - basically our bestsellers."

Maxi couldn't take her eyes off Bell while she was explaining and describing all her observations and findings from Elam. She could listen to Bell go on forever.

„Not so low born at the end of the day as you always thought, Commander.", Sir Hebaron grinned and gave Maxi a look: „Our Lord wasn't such a bad choice in the end, was he?"

„But the most interesting thing I got there is this.", Bell revealed something that looked like a huge egg.

„Is that our dinner?", one of the knights joked.

„It's a Dragon egg.", Bell answered and stared sternly at it.

„Are you out of your mind?! Destroy it!", Riftan yelled. Bell instantly got the most annoyed face expression and shot her brother a glare: „I am not destroying that!!!!"

Riftan's eyes narrowed, a mix of concern and frustration etched on his face. "Bell, you can't be serious. Dragons are a threat, and their eggs even more so. It must be destroyed before it hatches."

Bell's eyes flashed with defiance.

"This egg is unique. I can sense it. There's something different about it, something ancient and powerful. I won't let fear dictate its fate. The people of Elam believe that dragons can be tamed. It is said that Darius the I. for instance conquered the continent by riding a dragon. If that is truly possible, this egg has huge potential."

Tension hung in the air as the siblings locked eyes in a silent battle of wills, the Dragon egg becoming an unexpected centerpiece in the midst of the grand council.

Riftan's jaw tensed, torn between his protective instincts and Bell's unyielding determination.

The other knights exchanged uncertain glances, caught in the crossfire of a dispute that surpassed the boundaries of sibling rivalry.

"Destroying it means that we won't be able to find out whether dragons truly can be tamed," Bell continued, her voice unwavering.

"I sense no malevolence; it's a creature of ancient magic, not a menace. And even if the attempt turns out to fail, we can still use it for research."

Riftan, though visibly concerned, remained steadfast.

"Threat or not, we can't gamble with the safety of Anatol. We've seen the devastation dragons can bring. It's too great a risk. I did not fight the red dragon, Sektor, for three years to bring its baby in my home!"