The Fight

'Merlin you lot are useless sometimes, move over,' Mattheo snarled. He reached into his pocket and pulled his wand out, tapped the lock and whispered, 'Alohomora!'

'Looks like you are good for something,' Jasper said with a happy grin

The lock clicked and the door swung open – they piled through it, shut it quickly and pressed their ears against it, listening. 'Which way did they go, Peeves?' Filch was saying. 'Quick, tell me.'

'Say "please".'

'Don't mess me about, Peeves, now where did they go?'

'Shan't say nothing if you don't say please,' said Peeves in his annoying sing-song voice.

'All right – please.'

'NOTHING! Ha haaa! Told you I wouldn't say nothing if you didn't say please! Ha ha! Haaaaaa!' And they heard the sound of Peeves whooshing away and Filch cursing in rage.

'His jokes are even worse than yours' Theodore snickered, patting Astra on the back, getting a glare back in return

'He thinks this door is locked,' Alora whispered.

'I think we'll be OK – dude do you have to stand so close to me, you're making me claustrophobic!' For Jasper had been tugging on the sleeve of Aatra's dressing-gown for the last minute trying to listen in to what was happening on the other side of the door.

When Astra had turned around to scold Jasper, her eyes had widened at something else. Alora looked at her friends anxious face in confusion, 'What?'

Alora turned around – and saw, quite clearly, what. For a moment, she was sure she'd walked into a nightmare – this was too much, on top of everything that had happened so far.

They weren't in a room, as she had supposed. They were in a corridor. The forbidden corridor on the third floor. And now they knew why it was forbidden.

They were looking straight into the eyes of a monstrous dog, a dog which filled the whole space between ceiling and floor. It had three heads. Three pairs of rolling, mad eyes; three noses, twitch- ing and quivering in their direction; three drooling mouths, saliva hanging in slippery ropes from yellowish fangs.

It was standing quite still, all six eyes staring at them, and Alora knew that the only reason they weren't already dead was that their sudden appearance had taken it by surprise, but it was quickly getting over that, there was no mistaking what those thunderous growls meant.

Alora groped for the doorknob – between Filch and death, she'd take Filch.

They fell backwards – Alora slammed the door shut, and they ran, they almost flew, back down the corridor. Filch must have hurried off to look for them somewhere else because they didn't see him anywhere, but they hardly cared – all they wanted to do was put as much space as possible between them and that monster.

'You lot right to get back to your common room?' Astra asked the boys quickly as they kept running.

'Yeah we'll be right,' Jasper nods

Mattheo quickly looks overe at Alora, 'be safe you two,' he said. Alora nodded her head before she felt Astra grab onto her hand and pulling her back through the halls

'C'mon if we get caught, we're screwed,' she said quickly. They didn't stop running until they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady on the seventh floor.

'Where on earth have you all been?' she asked, looking at their dressing-gowns hanging off their shoulders and their flushed, sweaty faces.

'Never mind that – pig snout, pig snout,' panted Astra, and the portrait swung forward. They scrambled into the common room and collapsed, trembling into armchairs.