Chapter 50: Keeping promises

Mattheo promised her to make his life worth it. And so he did. After the school was rebuilt, Mattheo graduated and started working at the ministry. He was even received quite warmly. People know who he is. His name makes it hard to hide, but everyone also knows which side he was on and what he did for the wizarding world.
He was seen as a hero who did what everyone thought was impossible. He worked hard to make his life meaningful and to give a purpose to his life. But deep inside, he still felt empty. Like there was something missing for him. Every day, he felt Michelle's presence next to him. He knew this was probably his mind playing games to him, but sometimes he felt as if he was the only one who could see and feel Michelle. His love for her didn't die with her. He continued to talk to her, hoping she would hear him. He often thinks about their unborn child. How he was almost a dad. He thinks how he would have done it better than his parents. And how the baby could have looked.

A few years after the war, he made a decision. He adopted two young girls. Orphans from the war. They lost their parents to Voldemort, and he feels he owes them something. Of course, there are a lot of orphans because of Voldemort, but the two of them remind him of Michelle. Minnie has short black hair with curls, and Sophie has long dark brown hair.
He loves Minnie and Sophie as if they were his own children. He is the father he never had. He is always there for them, always supporting them and encouraging them. But no matter how hard he tries to fill this emptiness inside him by becoming their father; there's still a big and painful void inside him. No one compares to his love for Michelle. No one knew him better. No one understood him better. No one gave him the feeling of home and comfort that Michelle would give him. No one is Michelle...
But Minnie and Sophie bring so much joy to his life. They laugh a lot, and he tells them stories about Michelle. How loving she was. How passionate and even how she died. Died to save him.

Mattheo also takes care of Sirius grave. He feels like he was a father to him too, and he doesn't want the grave to overgrow. And of course, he visits Michelle's grave often. But he knows that he can remember her whenever he wants. Minni and Sophie help him take care of the graves. They always pick flowers. Preferably lillies. He never told them that Michelle's favorite flowers were lillies.

One night after dinner, Minnie and Sophie come to him with flowers in their hands, and they want to show him something, "dad! We have something to show you. " Sophie looks at him in a hopeful way, just like if they want to surprise him with a birthday gift.
"What is it? What is it, girls?" he says with a smile on his face, waiting to see what they have to tell him. He is surprised and happy at the same time. He loves their surprises
"Lillies from Mummy" They call Michelle mummy even if they didn't know her. Mattheo gets tears in his eyes.
He looks at the flowers and then at the two girls and back at the flowers. A smile appears on his face as he smiles at them. "Minnie, Sophie, you have made me the happiest dad in the entire world. Thank you, my precious angels, " he says, hugging them tight, and he kisses their forehead, tears are already running down his face.

And like that, Mattheo lived a good life. With his daughters. He never felt the urge to find a new partner again. She was the love of his life. And he couldn't open up his heart for anyone else (expect his girls) again. But that was okay. He knew when he finished his life. He will see her again. The love for Michelle was so pure and big that he thought nothing would compare to their love. But at least he had his little angels who were so important to him. He loved them deeply, and he did everything to give them the best life they could have. They had lost a lot in the war, and Mattheo was there to rescue them. He gave them home and love. They will never forget their dad, and he will never ever forget Michelle.