Chapter 4

I was shocked at first. Her son? Where was her son at? Why didn't she already have him with her? And more pressingly, was he even alive still? How long had they been separated?

"I...I'm sorry but what do you mean you need to find your son? Do you know where he is or where to start looking? What happened? I mean... I'm sorry that's a lot to ask, isn't it?" I was starting to ramble so I closed my mouth to keep from asking more questions.

She looked at me. I couldn't tell what her expression was. Was it sadness? Was it fear? Was it determination? I couldn't pinpoint exactly what she was feeling. We sat there while she thought about it. It took a while before she could find the right words to say.

Finally she said, "My son was traveling with my brother. His uncle Zach. They were supposed to go to a few states and then come home. Last I heard from either of them they were at the airport under lockdown. They flew in during the start of everything and then they shut down the airport and quarantined it. I was on my way there when my car broke down. I have been stuck here in this place for the last week. I need to find my son. What if something happened to him while I was stuck in this hell hole? I would never forgive myself if something happened to my son..."

I could see the tears in her eyes. I didn't know how but I was determined to help her. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose a child. Losing a parent was hard enough. Losing a child is the most painful thing a person could go through. I had to help. There was no way I couldn't.

"If you would like I could go with you and help you find him." I told her.

Her head snapped up. She was shocked for a moment. I wasn't sure what she was thinking and it made me nervous. Was this a good idea or was I barking up the wrong tree, helping her? Did she even want help? I sure hoped so.

"I would love some help. It's a long way to the airport. I could really use the extra pair of eyes to find him. Besides that I can help you too. I can help cover your ass. Maybe with me around people won't go hitting you over the head with baseball bats." She started to giggle. "I know it's not funny but come on, that was pretty funny!'

I had to admit that was a good joke. And it was true. She could help cover me and we could cover more ground together. I smiled at her. "You have yourself a deal." I said.

We shook on it. When I walked into this warehouse I never would have guessed that I would be teaming up with a woman to go on a rescue mission. But here we were. Teaming up. To go on a rescue mission.