Chapter 2: they tell you that you're lucky but you're so confused

Start from the beginning

Just as Benedict saw Lady Primrose begin to speak, he subtly squeezed your hand under the table, hoping to provide some comfort to such a touchy subject. Oblivious to your nervousness, Lady Primrose said, "Why, Alex, that's quite considerate of you. And, Y/N, I'm thrilled about your coming out! After Daphne's season, I can't wait to see who you'll meet. Your father and I hope you find a match as splendid as Daphne and Simon did—or as we did. Truly, I hadn't expected that delaying your coming out would give you this much celebrity with Whistledown, but what a blessing it has been! You will be the belle of every ball, you lucky girl. Aren't you excited as well?"

Comforted by Ben's thumb rubbing soothingly over your hand, you regained your composure and turned to your mother with a poised smile, "Why yes, I am thrilled! The ball holds a certain air of mystery, doesn't it? I'm eager to see what unfolds next week." Effectively cutting the subject short, you turned to Cass and Eloise and quickly engaged them in conversation, diverting the focus from yourself. With the dining room transitioning into more relaxed chatter, everyone returning to their usual banter, Ben's hand tightened around yours, and in return, you responded with an equally tight squeeze. No words were necessary, each of you knowing the other well enough to wordlessly communicate your care for one another.

---

You were comfortably full and sitting on a sofa in the sitting room, having migrated there after dinner. You could hear the many lively conversations simultaneously, filling the Beaumont household with warm energy. Currently, you were happily listening to Alex and Anthony chattering away, recounting a very entertaining story about their time at Oxford with Simon. Just then, Benedict approached the trio. His eyes locked onto yours, and you could spot a playful glimmer.

"Are you two terrorizing Miss Beaumont with your horror stories from Eton again? Please don't tell me you've told her about the time with the squirrel," Ben quipped.

"You offend me, brother. Of course we aren't recounting our time at Eton. Only our time at Oxford!" Anthony responded, earning a cheeky laugh and enthusiastic agreement from Alex. Eager to continue reminiscing and itching for another drink, Anthony and Alex walked away from the small gathering that had formed, allowing you and Ben a moment alone.

Sitting down next to you, Benedict teased you, "I'll have you know I'm still recovering from the shock of your win at Pall Mall earlier today. I fear my siblings will never let me live it down."

"Oh, shush! I beat you every time. At this rate, I'm surprised you still attempt to play," you managed to get out in between a fit of laughter, missing the fond look Benedict had sent you. But the lightness of the moment shifted when you settled down, glancing over at your best friend with a sober look. With sudden sincerity and a touch of vulnerability, you spoke lowly, "Oh, Ben, how am I ever going to survive my debut without you?"

His smile softened, hand reaching out for yours as he traced comforting patterns on your hand and replied, "You'll be absolutely fine on your own, I've no doubt. You always are. Besides, you might get to talk to more people if I'm not there anyway."

"I know. I'm just scared, I think. But it'll pass."

"Nothing to worry about, darling. You are smart and funny and a great dancer too, which is always essential at these events. The ton is in for a treat!"

"Ah, of course. I think I'm less scared about that aspect. I mean, Whistledown's said everyone's practically frothing at the mouth for me already, which I suppose is better than the alternative. At least in the beginning, it'll be new and exciting to go to all of these balls, meet new boys, and dance with them. And maybe I'll have callers, too, which sounds rather enchanting, doesn't it?" Your words danced in the air, a touch of excitement evident in your voice. Perhaps your mother's good spirits had rubbed off on you, too.