Height and Thrills

Start from the beginning

As dangerous as his stunts were, I still needed Isaiah around as much as I needed Mercury. He was my friend, and I'd rather work through this size change with him and Mercury rather than by myself. I mean, what would I do if they weren't here and I was the only one shrunk?

Besides, Isaiah handled his adjustment to this new size better than Mercury and I ever have. I have a feeling it was because when he was alive, he explored the great outdoors and spent more time outside than me or Mercury, always getting the urge to get his energy racing up swiftly and be quick on his feet. Because I had a mostly peaceful life back then, I didn't worry too much about dangers. No need for jumping off from rooftop to rooftop or swinging across vines. And Mercury usually spent her time painting on canvas, drawing pictures, making videos, and reading to have that much of a need.

Having Isaiah around might not be too bad as it seems. After all, maybe if we ever come across a real threat, he'd save our skins in the nick of time. Who knows?

As of now, Mercury and I were reading our books this afternoon when Isaiah came up to us with a big idea for a fun stunt. He took us upstairs, where we stood on top of the balcony. That's when we saw it.

"Attention, passengers, this is your captain speaking," Isaiah spoke in some miniature microphone. Don't ask me where he got it. He is random at times, somehow finding miniature objects and things you don't really find in this place. "Teeny Clan is prepped for its inaugural flight."

I stared at the paper airplane that stood in front of us. We didn't see Isaiah all morning earlier, and as it turned out, it was because he was working on one of his funnest stunts yet. The paper airplane. With how big the paper was and how tiny he was, it probably took him  half an hour or two to craft it together.

Isaiah puts a lot of effort into his stunts, which is why me and Mercury go along with them most of the time. We don't like making anyone think they put so much effort into something for nothing.

However, looking at the airplane still made me uneasy, as my fear of heights never left my mind. "We're gonna sit on this paper airplane and fly around the house?" I asked, as me and Mercury looked at him with anxiety written across our faces.

"What? No, that'd be way too dangerous," Isaiah assured us. Mercury and I sighed in relief, only for our blood to almost freeze cold by what he said next. "We're gonna hang from it like a hang glider. It'd be a whole lot of fun that way after all."

"Um...I don't know," I said, backing away. "I don't know if this is airplane is a good idea."

"Yeah, I'm with Nikki," Mercury agreed. "I think this might be a bit more extreme."

Isaiah groaned in annoyance. "Why you guys gotta be buzzkills?" He asked. "All you gotta do is hang on tight and don't let go. It's very simple."

"That's easy for you to say," Mercury scoffed. "We didn't spend as much time running around in the woods as you have. I spent more time indoors than outdoors."

"And I pretty much had a more peaceful life to begin with," I added. Isaiah rolled his eyes as he groaned again.

"Sissies," he scoffed. "We're so tiny, and everything around us is so huge. Think of these stunts as preparations even though they're mostly used for fun. I mean, you and Mercury will have to go outside eventually. We can't stay here forever. I mean, look at me. I go outside all the time and I turn out just fine."

Mercury and I looked at him with surprise. "You actually go outside?" I questioned, quite shocked.

"All the time," Isaiah shrugged. "Mostly at night, and during the only time of day when you refuse to do my stunts with me. The outside world isn't that bad."

"But we're so tiny, Isaiah," I protested. "So many things could go wrong. How do you manage to come back here in one piece?"

"Even when I was alive, you always have to check your surroundings," Isaiah explained. "Someone who is not only alone, but also has their guard down is easy prey, regardless of size. That's what my dad taught me. When I'm outside, I do the things my dad has always taught me to do whenever I'm outside alone, especially when I'm in the woods. I always listened to his lessons because they're pretty useful, and when you and Mercury have the guts to finally go outside, they'll be useful for our survival."

"You really think so?" Mercury tilted her head. "What are the lessons?"

"I'm glad you asked," Isaiah lit up. "First important lesson: be on your guard. Like I said, someone who is both alone and has their guard down is easy prey. You have to look around every few steps, especially if the area around you is quiet. Bad guys and even monsters will use silence as an advantage against you."

It was one of those rare times Isaiah was having a common sense or being logical. What mostly went on his head was the thrills of fun and adventure. He never thought about the comeuppance of his stunts or what some of his actions would cause.

"If you're on a long trip and you don't have any food or water, it's good to be resourceful," Isaiah continued. "You gotta find everything that can pass for food. Also, be careful who you trust, and right now, at this size, we should be careful when meeting new people. If you guys eventually decide to give the great outdoors a try."

"Well, you can count me and Nikki out, especially out of this airplane thing," Mercury spoke. "Right, Nikki?"

However, I was having second thoughts. When I was alive, I was so curious about the world, that I wanted to explore the new places and meet new people when I grow up, despite some of my fears.

I was envious of the fact that Isaiah was so much braver than I am. Not only that, he also had the guts to go outside and explore the great outdoors by himself more than once at his tiny size.

"Um...I think I'll give it a try," I said, which surprised them. It's about time I tried to go on with Isaiah's stunt without any fear.

"That's the spirit, buddy!" His surprise was replaced with excitement as he gave a little slap on my back, while Mercury sighed.

"Well, like I said, I'm out," Mercury declined before walking away, beginning to leave the kitchen.

Isaiah rolled his eyes and groaned. "Chicken."

Then he turned to look at me as I picked up the paper airplane and gripped the bottom. "Now, Nikki, just wait three seconds and we'll be ready for take off!"

As he went to turn on the giant fan he placed behind us to help the airplane fly better, I looked at the edge of the counter we were standing on. I was nervous. However, I always remembered hearing people tell me that looking down makes my fear worse.

I sighed, as Isaiah walked up behind me, joining me as he gripped the bottom of the paper airplane. Soon, we felt the breeze on our fur, and we decided we were ready.

The moment we jumped, I half expected to fall. But suddenly, we went soaring through the sky. I was smiling, my face twisted into excitement instead of fear for the first time. It was like we were flying it outside. Up, down, left, right. With every twist.

As we flew around the house, I looked at one of the window. A part of me was thinking. Should I take Isaiah's advice? Or should I stay put?

Isaiah makes it seem like the outdoors are safe, but what is really out there? Thoughts whirled in my mind of what to do. Explore the great outdoors out of curiosity? Or stay in the comfort zone of our empty house?