6 | in the middle of the letter

Start from the beginning

''The envelope was perfectly sealed, idiot! And as if I would ever read your mail!'' Jean looked away, almost offended.

''Right, right.'' Y/n pulled the paper out, smiling as she read the first few words.

Dearest Y/n,

How are you? Me, Stella and Leo are doing fine. We really miss you. You haven't written in a while — is everything okay in training? You haven't been badly injured or anything, right? Are you eating? Are you training hard? How's your friend, Sasha? What about Jean? Is he behaving? How are your training scores?

There's rumors going around that your training regiment would be coming to Trost for a special training session, or something. Is that true? Can we come visit you? Or can you come home? Mrs. Kirstein would surely like to see Jean, too! Tell him to answer her letters, will you? I know the boy is stubborn, but she's really worried.

Stella lost her first tooth yesterday! Really, this letter was only written to tell you about that because she wouldn't let it go before I told you, so you better write something about that in your next letter. She's learned how to read now, so don't say anything stupid in your future letters!
We love you and miss you, dear. I hope you can come home soon.

Love, Mom

P. S. Bring Jean along if you come home, Leo misses him, too. But don't tell Leo I told you that!

Y/n snorted as she finished reading the letter. She hadn't seen her mother or siblings in so long — how long has it been now? Too long, probably. She rarely had time to write them, too. How much have Stella and Leo grown by now? Maybe she could ask Shadis if she could go see her family for a bit when they go to train in Trost.

''You okay?''

''Huh?'' She looked up at Jean and Marco — the three stood in front of the mess hall now — furrowing her brows. ''Why?''

''You're tearing up.''

Y/n raised a hand to the corner of her eye, feeling the wetness. ''Oh, I didn't realize.''

Marco looked at Jean with a gentle smile. ''I'll go save a table and find Connie and Sasha.''

Jean nodded, putting a hand on Y/n's shoulder. ''Yeah, thanks.'' He led Y/n to the side of the mess hall, where no one would see them.

''Jean, it's no big deal, really, I'm fine,'' Y/n said with a smile, wiping away her few tears and leaning on the wall. ''I just miss my family, that's all. It's been so long since I've last seen them.''

Jean frowned. ''Right. It's been almost two years already, hasn't it?''

Y/n nodded. ''Yeah. Mom said Stella learned how to read. When I left, she barely knew the alphabet!'' She laughed. ''And Leo's demanding you visit him as soon as possible. I suspect he's going crazy now that he's only surrounded by girls.''

Jean snorted. ''Hey, he should be thankful he doesn't have to deal with you.''

Y/n gasped in mock-offense. ''Shut up, Kirstein. And what's that about you not writing to your mother?''

''What?'' Jean's eyes widened. ''Who told you that?''

''My mom snitched on you. You have to let her know you're okay, Jean. You know she worries.'' Y/n punched his shoulder. ''Don't be a shit son.''

''Yeah, yeah.'' Jean waved her off. ''Whatever, I'll write to her tonight and send it in the morning, yeah?''

''You better not be lying to me, Horse-Face.''

''Shut up.''

Y/n sighed. She looked at Jean; he'd gotten a bit taller and his face looked a bit sharper, though he was still pretty much the Jean she knew, the one who used to get scared by bugs on the street. Despite that, there was a different, more grown up aura around him. It was odd, but also rather . . . endearing.

''I can't believe we're slowly growing up.'' Y/n laughed, looked away. ''I mean, I have boobs now!''

''. . . Never say that in public again.''

''Fine!'' Y/n laughed at his flustered expression. ''But, still. You better not grow into a tree or something. You've grown a few inches in just a year!''

Jean chuckled, his arms crossed. ''Yeah, at least I'm growing.''

''Shut up.'' Y/n said just as her stomach rumbled. ''Let's go eat, I'm starving.''

Jean groaned. ''About time, I was about to start dragging you there.''

Y/n kicked off the wall and wrapped her arm around Jean's, just like she had with Sasha earlier. His hands were in his pockets — Y/n was sure he was just trying to appear cool on the onlookers — as she started dragging him towards the mess hall. ''You know, Jean-Bo, since I'm feeling oh-so-sad, you wouldn't mind sharing some of your food with me to make me feel better, would you?''

Jean furrowed his eyebrows. ''If you want a saint, beg Marco or Christa,'' he said, causing Y/n to scoff. ''I think you've been spending too much time with Sasha.''

''Well, she's much nicer than you!''

''What are you talking about? You're the main bully in this relationship!''

Y/n almost chocked on her spit. Relationship? ''Well, yeah! Because you're annoying!''

''Whatever.''

They entered the mess hall and got their food, then quickly found their friends. They sat down and Jean immediately joined the conversation, while Y/n silently watched over her friends. She couldn't believe just a little over a year ago, it had been just Jean and her. In a way, she missed it — how they would be together all the time, running around Trost and doing dumb things. Eating his mom's omelette or going around the bazar to look at things they couldn't afford.

''When we live in the interior, we'll be able to buy all the hats we want!'' Jean had told her when they were eleven. The two had been trying some matching hats they definitely weren't buying — the owned had scolded them for playing around with his merchandise and they'd ran off laughing.

It was going to be different now. Sasha, Connie and Marco also planned on goin going to the MPs, so they were all stuck together now — and, honestly, Y/n wouldn't have it any other way.