Even with eyes still half-closed as if just waking up from a deep coma, Kai somehow managed to glare at me with an annoyed and threatening expression, clearly unhappy about me waking him up earlier than usual. I was used to seeing his tired and drowsy look whenever he drives us to school, but now I really think if I wasn't his best friend, I'd be six feet under the ground.

"Good morning," I jumped off the porch with a huge grin on my face, "how are you today, my friend?"

He blinked at me before taking the helmet hanging from the handle and throwing it at me without warning. I caught it and frowned at him, or tried to. Despite his exhaustion, I couldn't deny that he was strangely attractive. I didn't have to like him that way to admit it. Everyone knew it, at school, at the academy, everyone everywhere. His black hair was a bit messy from lying in bed, and his dark brown eyes seemed more intense when he narrowed his eyes on me. His lean form made him look almost like an athlete, even though he had just woken up and was obviously tired. Maybe it's the workout sessions he had with dad paying off. Or maybe he always held himself up like that.

"I don't forgive you," his deep voice, which was already low-pitched and had grown even deeper from the exhaustion and just waking up sent a flare up my spine. No. Nope. Pull yourself together, Emma.

"I love you, too," I tried to keep her voice steady as I put on my helmet and climbed behind him, "now, go, go!"

"Stop," he groaned, "my ears, please. What drugs do you take to be this energetic? And do your parents know that you take them?"

"I simply just woke up actually, you're just lazy. Maybe you're growing old."

"Emmaline, I swear to God," Kai warned and hung his head with a sigh.

"Alright, sorry" I laughed and put my hands on his shoulders, intending to hold on to him as he drove, "now, go."

I prepared for the rush of air to hit my face as he drove but then he just inhaled a sharp breath and deftly grabbed my hands and pulled them around his waist, holding my arms close to him, "safety precautions. How many times have I told you that?"

"Sorry, dad," I ignored the twist in my stomach and rolled my eyes, but held onto him anyway. Resting my chin on his back.

"Speaking of," Kai started, putting down the helmet's visor, "is your dad planning on murdering me soon?"

"Don't say that!" I jerked my head back, "he loves you."

"Don't lie, he wants to fry my brain just for driving you on this bike everyday."

"Well, I don't think he will since you are not driving. It's been 5 minutes already, we're going to be late and—"

I was cut off by the sound of the engine coming to life as Kai revved the bike. I let put a scream when he took off with no warning and tightened my grip on him, "I'm going to be the one who kills you!"

He didn't reply, just let out a laugh as he took a U-Turn, heading to our destination.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"You are all banned from talking to me for a week," Kai said as we showed the security our school IDs and walked through the school gates. Even though schools are semi back to what they used to be before the reestablishment, they still need to be cautious about who goes in and out. We don't really need anything extreme, just and ID with your picture, name, and grade.