ミ✮ 𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬┆[m. fushiguro]

Start from the beginning

Thank goodness they were the same height. Maki was grateful she didn't have to strain her neck when looking at her friend. Upon observing Ikeda, the green-haired girl concluded that the brunette was thinking too loud. No doubt about her overbearing family who adored putting pressure unknowingly on Yuna. The way the Zen'in girl recalled, Yuna had once compared her mother, the fabled Hitomi Ikeda, to a relentless puppet master, taking the utmost pleasure in having dominance over the minds of her children and forcing them to do the most difficult of tasks no matter how impossible.

And Yuna, well, the seventeen-year-old was her mother's most precious protégé...or maybe "property" was a better term for the unhealthy kinship. Yuna was—in all aspects—treated like a porcelain doll and forced into a position in which she had to act as such. Outside of school, she was polite and generous with not a hair out of place. Essentially the perfect little doll personified. With a sigh tumbling past her lips, the brunette reached up and scratched her head, depicting visible signs of stress. Her family were all a bunch of blood-sucking leeches.

Sure they were people like her: total go-getters, but so very insufferable. It had her mind spinning. Yuna was supposed to be her mother's pride—a physical representation of wealth, class, and power. It was ripping the seventeen-year-old apart. Harshly swallowing the glob of saliva in her otherwise dry mouth, the brunette adjusted her shoulders so she maintained an immaculate posture once more and continued trudging beside Maki, who dishearteningly forced herself to look away from her best friend. There was really nothing left to do except dig up old memories in order to make fun of Yuna and snap her out of her daze. The green-haired sorcerer prepared her words, a playful grin taking complete control of her mouth without any hesitation.

"You handled yourself well on today's mission. I'm surprised. I really thought you would lose your composure again. Remember our first year when you—"

As soon as Maki found her voice, she was unfortunate enough to be interrupted by her brunette friend when Yuna raised her hand silently in order to stop the mortifying anecdote from being spoken out loud. Yuna knew exactly what Maki was referring to. Everyone knew about it by now. Even the first-years who weren't able to witness it firsthand. It was a core memory that would forever stick with Yuna Ikeda.

The way she lost her temper during a mission in her first year and nearly destroyed three whole buildings while also almost killing a group of innocent people she was supposed to save. Yuna's ultrasonic shriek was not a toy. It was dangerous. It was deadly. It was great for getting rid of curses, just not when she had trouble holding it back.

With each occasion that rage blinded her, it was harder and harder to subdue the urge to let out that characteristic high-pitched and rather long-lasting screech. The sound was enough to implode one's brain and tear down physical structures. Ikeda was unpredictable, thus forcing most people around her to walk on eggshells as to not piss her off.

"No. No, I'd actually like to forget about first year and all the stupid mistakes I made...and the amount of times I almost killed somebody. This year I'm different. I am finally in the right mindset. No more hotheaded Yuna. This new and improved Yuna is chilled out. Nothing could change that. Nothing."

The sorcerer with the chestnut-hued hair asserted, hoping to convince not only Maki but herself as well. Yuna should've known better though. The bespectacled young woman walking next to her understood Yuna better than anyone, having grown up together. It didn't come as a shock when Maki chortled in amusement and shook her head, analyzing her best friend's movements from the corner of her eye once more. Maki began to offer her direct beliefs on the matter: