Prologue

115AC
After Criston Cole was dismissed from Princess Rhaenyra's service, they needed to find a replacement. After much discussion, it was decided that Brandon Snow, who was the illegitimate child of Ricard Stark and Princess Rhaenys, would fill the position. Rhaenyra was immediately attracted to Brandon due to his striking blondish-brown hair, brown eyes, and sword skills, and the feeling was mutual. Their intense love affair resulted in the birth of a new princess who had distinctive Targaryen features.

A year after marrying Laenor Velaryon, Princess Rhaenyra named their daughter Alysanne Velaryon, which symbolized her connection to both the Stark and Targaryen bloodlines. In 125 AC, ten years after the birth of the cherished little princess, a young girl lay sleeping in a room overlooking the sea on a rare stormy night in King's Landing. However, it quickly became evident that she was not at peace as she tossed and turned, soaked in sweat. Suddenly, she let out a piercing scream, causing the guard stationed outside her door to rush inside, concerned for her safety. After finding no immediate danger, he focused on the convulsing princess and promptly summoned a maester and her worried parents.

In a swift moment, Princess Rhaenyra hurried to her only daughter's side, begging the maester to help her. The sworn shield, Sir Brandan, whispered gentle words in her ear, being careful not to look directly at the young princess. Meanwhile, Prince Laenor was nowhere to be found. After the maester assured Rhaenyra that her daughter Alysanne was safe and instructed her to keep a watchful eye on her in the coming days, Rhaenyra turned to her daughter as she began to wake up. With a soft touch to her hair, she asked about Alysanne's well-being in a gentle tone.

Alysanne tried to smile at her mother and Sir Brandan, but it came out more like a grimace. "I'm fine, Mother. It was just a troubling dream. Please don't worry," she said. Rhaenyra wasn't convinced and sat on the bed, stating, "Sir Bane heard your cries, my child, and saw your convulsions. Don't dismiss my concerns. You're my firstborn, and I'll always worry about you. Now, tell me, what did you dream about that frightened you so much?" Alysanne took a deep breath, glancing at her mother and then at Sir Brandan, silently urging him to join them in sitting down.

With a deep breath, she began telling her dream to her mother and the esteemed Sir Brandan. The rain was pouring outside, along with the echoing thunder, as she described her vision of their ancestral home's destruction and the divine message from the ancient gods of Valyria. The revelation was that she alone had the power to change their impending fate and save their noble lineage. Unaware of their shared worry, Alysanne continued her story, only to be interrupted by her mother and sworn sword getting up from the bed.

Rhaenyra hugged her tightly, giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead before tucking her in and reassuring her that there was no need to worry for now. Following suit, Sir Stark said goodnight to her, showing the same affectionate gesture. While Rhaenyra had a plan, she silently hoped that her daughter wouldn't hold any resentment towards her in the future because if what she said was true, no one could know. As the door to her daughter's room closed, she turned to Sir Brandon and stated that it was time for him to go back home, accompanied by Alys. Rhaenyra would do anything to protect her children.