"Thank you, I'm surprised you weren't invited."

Tommy smirks, a half smirk and half smile. "Now, how would that look, eh?"

The man turns his head when Tommy's smile drops. "Oh, now, the party has really started."

Grace follows their line of sight, so does Dottie. Grace is the first to speak. "Who are they?"

"Father John Hughes from St Mary's Boys Reformatory. And with him is Mr Patrick Jarvis, MP. They are part of an organisation called the Economic League."

Dottie's stomach drops as she stares at the father. His face burns in her memory.

"Did you invite them, Grace?" Tommy asks, in a sharp and questioning tone.

Grace hums, "their names sound familiar. They were recommended by the Lord Mayor."

"Oh. On your best people of the city list, eh? Do you know them? I'll introduce you, Tommy."

Tommy shakes his head, "that's all right, Danny. I'll introduce myself."

Grace doesn't say anything as Tommy walks off, instead she raises her eyebrows at Dottie. Almost like she was  struggling with Tommy's behaviour. Dottie doesn't say anything, instead she looks around the ballroom, seeing Isiah standing against a wall. She excuses her self from Grace and the balding man, and walks over to Isiah.

"I'm sorry for what happened the other day," she says, approaching him and almost catching him off guard.

Isiah shrugs, taking the cigarette out from between his lips. "It's alright, we probably shouldn't have fallen in to bed."

Dottie's stomach churns. "Well, anyways, I left before I could apologise."

Isiah shakes his head before offering his cigarette to Dottie, who smiles as she takes it, raising it up to her lips and inhaling.

"I don't like these things," Isiah admits, looking out on to the sea of people dancing. "It's too crowded with people who have too much money."

Dottie nods, giving him back the cigarette. "Imagine being so rich you have too much money," she hums. "I have a feeling Tommy will get like that."

"Oh yeah?"

Dottie nods her head. "My mum says he's ambitious, doesn't ever see a limit."

Isiah hums. "Your brother, you know, has been seeing that Charlotte girl. Been seeing her since the wedding."

Dottie nods, raising her eyebrows. "So my baby brother has finally had a shag? Interesting."

Isiah grins, "fancy a drink?"

                                    —

Grace eyes Dottie, who laughs at something Isiah's said. She catches the attention of the younger girl when she raises her eyebrows at a dark haired girl in front of her. Dottie excuses herself from Isiah's company, joining Grace and half opening her mouth when Tommy joins the trio.

Grace has a fake smile forced on to her lips. "Dottie, Tommy, this is Duchess Tatiana Petrovna."

Tommy doesn't respond.

Grace turns to Tommy, frowning slightly. "Come on, Tommy, aren't you impressed to meet a real duchess?"

Dottie doesn't say anything, instead she looks at the duchess, noticing her dark smouldering eyes and the lingering way she looks at Tommy.

"Well, I understand they charge a fee."

The duchess speaks, "Mr Shelby, you are very direct."

"Too direct." Grace interjects, half scoffing.