𝐨𝐧𝐞. - 𝒾𝓃𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓋𝒾𝑒𝓌

Start from the beginning

"nice to meet you, i'm matthew sturniolo." he smiles, reaching his hand out to shake mine. i could collapse at his eye contact but i have to keep it together.

"nice to meet you." i smile back. i'm not sure what he wants me to call him, but i'll wait for him to tell me.

matt walks around me and casually picks up the other black chair to move it behind bryan's desk so he can see the computer screen as well.

"let's get started," bryan says as he picks up a notepad and leans back in his chair.

"alright, we will call and let you know if you're hired," bryan says. the way my new potential boss had been looking at me that whole time made me even more anxious. 

"okay," i reply with a smile.

"when did you say you can start again?" matthew asks me.

"any time you need me." i smile. my face hurts from smiling so much. i don't think i've smiled this much in a while.

"hm," he hums and taps his pen on his mouth. he's slouched in his chair and his leg is crossed over the other and he stares at the computer screen as if he's trying to read something from far away. 

"you're starting tomorrow." matthew randomly says after a long moment of silence among the office.

"really?" i say, shocked that he's doing this on the spot. i can tell it catches bryan off guard too since his eyebrows shot to the top of his forehead.

"matt-" bryan says, turning to face him before he's interrupted.

"what? she's hired. i like her and she's the one." matt shrugs. i can only imagine what my face looks like right now. i'm definitely blushing, which is embarrassing, and i have a big smile on my face.

"whatever." bryan sighs and shakes his head.

"thank you so much!" i say.

"of course, now i'll see you tomorrow at 8am sharp, do not be late." he says, his smile wiping off his face and his tone becoming more serious. i nod my head and he stands up to shake my hand before he leaves the room. "nice to meet you, emerson." he said before he left.

"well, i guess you will not be recieving a phone call," bryan presses his lips together. "matt is so random sometimes," i hear him mumble as he scrolls through the screen. "with matt, not to scare you," he starts. every time someone starts a sentence like that, it scares me.

"but he's hard to deal with." he says, taking his eyes off the screen and looking at me. "he can be an asshole, but deep down, he's just a softie." he shrugs, laughing at his own joke. i don't know whether i should laugh with him or run. "he'll be an ass in the beginning, but once you get to know him, he's not so bad. don't be nervous." he says, laughing as he shakes his head. i just press my lips together into a fake smile and nod.

what am i doing to myself?

"good morning! you're back!" valerie says as she walks by the elevator when i step out.

"i am, he hired me." i smile wide and she immediately pulls me into a hug.

"congratuations!" she exclaims before she pulls away. "well, good luck with matt. i promise he's not as bad as he seems." she says, tilting her head down with widened eyes like she's trying to warn me.

"bryan told me that too. i'm already scared as it is!" i joke and she laughs and holds onto my shoulders.

"don't be scared at all, it will be okay. i'll see you around, have a good first day!" she says before turning on her heel and leaving again.

i walk over to a lady sitting at the front desk table. "could you tell me where matthew sturniolo's office is please?" i ask.

"yeah, it's the one down that hall and it's the third door to the left." she says. her expression is blank as i thank her and speed walk to his office door.

when i knock, i remind myself to breathe. i'm so nervous i could collapse to the ground right now, and with everyone saying how matt is, it doesn't help.

"morning." he says as the door opens, he doesn't even face me as he is already walking back to his desk. "today is your training day." he says, taking his eyes off the screen and looking at me as i stand in front of his desk. "sit."

i sit down in the black chair in front of me. this office looks similar to bryan's, except it has his own personal decorations, like photo frames on the wall of him and two other people who i don't even need to ask who they are. they're his siblings, and i'm assuming they're triplets due to how similar they look.

"every week i'll send you a weekly checklist and every day i'll send a daily one. you are technically my personal assistant, not just my work assistant, so when i need some things like groceries or something, get them." he explains. "i need you to print copies of my cases and organize them with their files in the file cabinet you will have in your workspace. i need you to organize my meetings and make sure to tell me about every single one i have. also, i need you to get a sandwich from the cafe across the street every day and a coffee for me."

everything he's saying sounds like blah blah blah. all these chores and errands i have to run for him. i understand having to print copies and organize things but get your breakfast? the craziest part is that he isn't joking.

"are you even listening?" he asks, then i realized that i was just zoning out and staring at a photo frame on his desk which looks like a picture of him and his brothers when they were teenagers.

"yes, sorry sir." i say, bringing my eyes back to his.

"i need your phone number." he says, reaching his hand out for my phone.

"oh- okay," i say, getting my phone out of my purse and opening the phone app to add a new contact. i let him type in his information before he hands my phone back to me.

"i'll send you my order but can you go to that cafe and get me something?" he asks, pointing down as if the cafe is in the building.

"yes, of course." i say as i stand up and adjust my dress. when i leave his office and head into the elevator, i look at my phone to see what he put his contact as out of curiosity. maybe he put what he wants me to call him as the name. the name doesn't shock me for some reason.

boss.

★🗯️🌪️🌙🎬☁️★