small talk

Mariana's POV: 

Actually, this is fucking stupid. You know what, I never wanted to be pretty anyway. Why was I actually excited last night to get ready for work today? Why did I think straight hair would be a look? 

I continue to brush the frizz on my hair, spraying oils, and hoping for a well enough hairstyle. 

Fuck it. I grab a hair tie and settle for a half up and half down look. Am I crushing so hard I'm doing my hair for the first time in years? Pathetic. 

Actually, I'm not doing this for a man. I am doing this for myself. I lie. 

I do some bad make up, including the cherry red lipstick and put on my all black outfit before I rush out the door. That'll show him. I cringe before one last look in the mirror. 

_____________________________________________

Josh's POV: 

I love seeing her even if she never looks my way. I love talking to her, even if she doesn't always respond or when she does and it's too quiet to hear. Or when each response is almost always the same, I don't mind as long as I get a small glimpse of her world. 

Her first day, she walked in with a serious look on her face. As if the person training her was telling her the most important information she's ever been told. She did her job quietly and with a focused look. Almost like if everyone around her didn't exist. 

That's why she intrigued me. People seemed enchanted by her, and yet she walked around with a sort of melancholy look on her face, unamused by existence. 

Today she looks different. 

Her dark curls usually pulled back are gone, replaced by straight hair sitting on her shoulders. Her pink lips a darker shade of red. And her smile. It seems more genuine, less sadness. 

Does she have something important going on today? 

_____________________________________________

Mariana's POV: 

"Why is your hair down today?" Ricky asks with genuine confusion. 

"Can I wear my hair however I want without being questioned?" only I  will know my foolish reasons. 

"It looks good, its just..." he looks around worried, "new?"

"Your man is here I think" he smiles looking at his nails. 

"Which one?" I joke. 

"The shy one" he laughs "the one that talks to you everyday but doesn't actually talk to you. Damn that's actually kinda sad" he scratches his head and stops laughing. 

"Hi ladies," we hear a voice from behind us, "and Ricky." 

"Told ya" Ricky winks after Josh leaves. 

_____________________________________________

Josh's POV: 

I walk to the break room, my usual route. The route closest to her. 

I see her and Ricky talking and joking, as usual. 

"Hi ladies," I look over at Gloria, Maria, and Mariana, "and Ricky" 

Gloria and Maria smile and wave at me. Mariana continues to laugh and stare at Ricky. 

In this moment, I become frustrated with myself. How do I not know this woman yet? Why don't I have the courage to do more than wishing? Why can't I be more?