1 | in the middle of the enlistment

Start from the beginning

Shadis stepped closer to him — and then slammed his head right on top of Jean's, who fell on his knees, rubbing his forehead and groaning. She almost wanted to laugh.

''Who gave you permission to sit?'' Shadis asked. ''If you can't handle that, you'll never make it into the MPs!''

She couldn't help it. She let out a chuckle this time and with Shadis bright right next to her, he heard it. His gaze snapped to her and they made eye contact. Jean was still on the ground as Shadis took a step to the left to stand in front of her. His face was so close to hers that she could smell his breath. It smelled like barbecue. Her stomach almost rumbled — she hadn't eaten breakfast because of the nerves that morning.

''What's so funny, cadet?''

Her fist rose to her heart immediately, saluting her instructor. ''The way you head-butted the cadet was just funny, sir!''

''So you find amusement in others' pain, cadet?''

''No, sir!'' Uh oh. She was already entering Shadis' bad books, wasn't she? ''Just him!'' Jean had just gotten up and, knowing him, he probably wanted to slap the back of her head.

''What's your name, Cadet?''

''Y/n L/n from Trost, sir!''

''Any why are you here, Cadet L/n?''

''To prove myself worthy of the top ten in the class, sir!'' Technically, that was part of the process.

''Top ten? You wanna join the MPs, too, Cadet?''

Y/n nodded. ''Possibly, sir!''

There was a ten second pause, though it felt like ten minutes before Shadis spoke. ''Then you are just as delusional as Moron Kirstein! Neither of you will get to the top ten with these attitudes!''

Y/n didn't dare frown at the statement. She waited until he was gone before she looked up at Jean, who had a teasing smirk on his face. Though, she couldn't take his mockery seriously because Shadis' headbutt had left a red mark right across his forehead.

She pointed over her own forehead and spoke quietly. ''You've got something all over here.'' Jean frowned and touched his forehead, wincing as he did so.

Shadis was squeezing the head of a bald kid by the time she and Jean turned around. Then her eyes fell on a girl two rows ahead, munching on a steamed potato, trying her best to avoid looking at Shadis and the bald cadet. It seemed as if Shadis had noticed her at the same time.

Dropping the kid, Shadis walked over to the girl with the potato. ''Hey, you. What the hell do you think you're doing?''

The girl looked around, almost as if Shadis was talking to someone else.

''YOU! I'M TALKING TO YOU! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?'' Shadis yelled in her face. Y/n had the feeling some spit fell out.

She saluted, her potato still in hand. ''Sasha Braus from Dauper, in Wall Rose's Southern District, sir!'' Sasha introduced herself.

''Sasha Braus . . .'' Shadis's tone was dangerously low. ''What are you holding in your right hand?''

''A steamed potato, sir!'' There was no hesitation in her voice. To be fair, it wasn't like she could exactly lie. ''I came across it in the kitchen, so I picked it up!''

''You mean you stole it?'' Shadis asked. ''Why? Why are you eating a potato right now?''

''I wanted to eat it while it was still warm, so I figured it was now or never, sir.'' Oh walls.

''No . . . I don't get it.'' Shadis told her. ''Why are you eating a potato?''

Sasha narrowed her eyes. ''Are you asking why people eat potatoes in general, sir?'' Shadis didn't say anything. Sasha waited before she tore the potato in two and handed him the smaller part. ''Take half for yourself, sir.''