The Way We Were Based on a Song By Barbara Streisand

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind

Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were

Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind

Smiles we gave to one another for the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then

Or has time rewritten every line

If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me, would we, could we

Mem'ries may be beautiful and yet

What's too painful to remember

We simply choose to forget

So it's the laughter we will remember

Whenever we remember the way we were

The way we were

Lyrics Licensed & Provided by LyricFind

She was another young adult discarded after World War Three on Planet Earth in The United States and she came from New York State.

When The US Government had to start rationing out food coupons to prevent a famine from happening and the only ones who could receive it were immediate family members and the head of the family had to prove they were actual immediate family members.

Lloyd Bell was Susan Virginia Bell's paternal uncle and he and his wife had taken in his late brother's only child after he and his wife succumbed to radiation sickness.

Lloyd Bell had no recourse but to place his 17 year old niece into The United Federation of Planet program "Operation Adam and Eve " and it promised Susan Virginia Bell a new life, and it has took the burden of feeding her from Lloyd Bell and he drove her to San Francisco, where the StarFleet Command was located and with a heavy heart he told his niece " I hate to say goodbye so I will just wish you adieu."

Susan Virginia Bell climbs out of her uncle's car with her suitcases in her hand and he watches her walk towards the front door of StarFleet Command before he drives away.

Susan Virginia Bell walks into the waiting room at StarFleet Command and much to her horror

Susan Virginia Bell walks into the waiting room at StarFleet Command and much to her horror. She sees a waiting room of other young Post World War Three War Orphans that had been discarded.

They range from the age of 10 to 18 years old and they all looked scared and she saw them standing in the corner

They range from the age of 10 to 18 years old and they all looked scared and she saw them standing in the corner. Someone she can talk to and she walks over to where the young woman is standing and she says to her "I am Susan Virginia Bell."

"I can't believe all these young people have been discarded like we have." Susan tells her.

"I am Karissa Elizabeth Ann Lowell

"I am Karissa Elizabeth Ann Lowell. I am afraid it is true. Their caretakers could no longer feed them and they were placed into this program we are in." Karissa tells her.

"Some of us are going to Star Base 10 and some of us are going to Star Base 12. The United Federation of Planets have promised us a new life full of hopes and promises. Let's see if they deliver it or if it is just a lot of empty promises." Karissa tells her

"My uncle said adieu to me." Susan tells her.

"I am sure your uncle hopes it is temporary, but I am afraid it is permanent." Karissa explains.

"We will never see Planet Earth again. I lost my entire family and my fiance and my caretakers just dropped me off." Karissa tells her.

"I lost my boyfriend too due to radiation sickness." Susan tells her. " I met him when I was 15 and he was 17 and he died at the age of 19 and I am now 17 years old." Susan tells her.

"I lost my fiance to cancer brought on by rational sickness. We were to be married and we had just started to plan our lives together. "Karissa tells her.

"I was allowed to cremate him and scatter his ashes over his late grandmother's grave before my caretaker packed me off and brought me here." Karissa tells Susan.

"All I have is our picture now." Karissa tells her.

"That is all I have too is our picture and my memories of us together for two years." Susan tells her.

"Hold onto your good memories, but let the bad memories go." Karissa tells her " I don't know if we will be happy on Star Base 12."

"Look at these poor kids like us. All discarded like an old shoe.

 All discarded like an old shoe

" Susan tells Karissa.

"They are all scared as we are. "Susan tells Karissa.

"They have a right to be afraid because their lives have been broken." Karissa tells her.

"Do you think we will love on Star Base 12?" Susan asks her.

"I hope so, but I don't know. I can tell you we will never forget our first loves and we love again they will be our second loves." Karissa tells her.

The two young women bond together.