Chapter X - Not A Single Thing

Start from the beginning

'I still don't get it...' Satoru sighs in defeat, crossing his arms in contemplation when he actually does put in the effort to compose a response, "What I like in a girl? Um...I guess, if they were super nice and kind to everyone. Maybe. And...I think..." For some reason, he struggles to imagine what his ideal girl would be, "--...someone very pretty and beautiful, too. With black hair that I think...I would like better if it was super long...sometimes in a messy bun even. Maybe."

"Oh?" Yuki takes his words into account, "But you sound so unsure." She says this in a taunting tone.

"Because I don't think about girls like that!" Satoru reinforces.

"Clearly." Yuki makes the decision to not pester the boy about the topic for any longer, "Then, I'll just ask you later on when you're a bit older."

Satoru scowls at her, "Did you ask the same thing to (L/n)-san?"

"Of course." Yuki looks back at that conversation in admiration, "She told me, and I quote, The only preference I have, whether or not that person is a boy or a girl, is that they have big strong muscles that can carry me whenever I'm tired." Satoru's jaw drops at the standard that seems to be out of character for someone as flexible as (Y/n) to implement.

"She's practically the only one I respect at Jujutsu High." Yuki admits, "I mean, how can I not? After that response? She's remarkable, really."

Satoru deadpans, 'Not because she's strong?'

The two are now sitting next to each other on the grass, the conversation being initiated by Yuki, "(Y/n)'s already caught me up with everything that's been happening with your training. As well as what happened at your first fight; were you really planning on killing a cursed sorcerer?"

Satoru is as honest as possible, "Yes..." It's not like it was hard for him to take responsibility of having those thoughts; the only thing that was hard for him to accept was that he could've disobeyed his own mentor in the worst way there was, "I wanted to do it so badly. They weren't...nice people at all; I thought they had a good reason in fighting, and killing all those other sorcerers that were fighting with me and (L/n)-san, but...they were only doing it because they were just angry. Not at me, but at the world. It would've been better if they had just died."

"But they didn't. Because (Y/n) stepped in." Yuki inputs.

Satoru hums in reaffirmation, "She told me that she didn't want me to kill people; she's never killed anyone that aren't curses because she doesn't like it. So if I had done it, it would've made me feel bad for...going against her words. I don't like it when (L/n)-san isn't happy; she makes me happy, so...I want to do the same in...making her happy, too. And also because..." Thinking about how the second reason would come to be causes him to go quiet, leaving it hidden from Yuki's knowledge.

But Yuki can see right through him, "You really do care a lot about (Y/n), huh?" Rather than saying anything, Satoru blushes heavily, avoiding eye contact from her, "I get it. She's very aspiring to many people, there's no question there; problem is, she doesn't believe that herself. In fact, it's the opposite." Satoru's breath hitches at this remark, and his eyes return back to her, "I don't much about her past, but it's really played a part in how she really sees herself; she may express herself as someone super strong and talented, but deep down it's more complicated for her to know whether or not she really is strong. Call it a god complex, if you will."

"A god complex...?" The concept was new to Satoru, so of course he wouldn't know what exactly Yuki was implying, "What are you trying to say?"

"That, as much as this jujutsu society sucks, (Y/n) tries to reform it; not for others -- well, I mean, that's only the partial reason -- but also to redeem herself of her flaws. Oftentimes she gets...desperate whenever problems come about, and her efforts don't go the right way. I can't help but to worry sometimes, because it's that kind of wanting...of both worth and power, mixed with insecurities that come from those same aspects...that I believe that, one day, in due time she'll..."