Chapter 22 - A Meeting with Anos Voldigoad

Start from the beginning

His crimson eyes momentarily met hers before returning to the book in his hands. She remembered how those eyes, filled with unyielding power and absolute confidence, had both awed and scared her when they had first met. Even now, they made her heart skip a beat. His naturally overbearing figure was striking, a sharp contrast to the plain room, his aura filling up the space with a suffocating pressure. His unreadable smile sent a fresh wave of nervousness through her.

"Should you need anything, Princess Alexia, don't hesitate to call on me," Millia said, her hand resting on the door handle.

"Uh... Wait—"

But the closing of the door cut off her protest, leaving them in solitude, she realized there was no turning back now. Alexia squared her shoulders and stepped forward, ready to deliver the news that might just change everything.

"L-Lord Voldigoad," Alexia began, trying her best to keep the tremor out of her voice. Anos lifted his gaze from his book, his crimson eyes meeting hers. A suspended moment passed between them before she swallowed, gathering her thoughts, and pressed on. "I have been sent by my father, King Klaus Midgar, with a formal decree."

Anos merely inclined his head, indicating her to continue. Fortifying herself with a deep inhalation, Alexia forged ahead. "You have been chosen to be wed to my sister, Iris Midgar."

She watched as a flicker of something akin to amusement lit up his eyes, although his overall demeanor remained remarkably calm, as if he had already been aware of the impending announcement. Before he could voice a response, she quickly added, "My father believes that this union will help promote unity among the nobles, a marriage connecting the highest and lowest ranks."

The room descended into a weighted silence as Anos processed her words. He was silent for a few breaths before finally responding, "So, a marriage to bridge the gap, you say?" His tone was unreadable, but there was a glint in his eyes that suggested he was picking apart her explanation.

Feeling a knot tighten in her stomach, Alexia nodded, "Yes, it is a symbol of unity."

Anos reclined in his chair, his calculating gaze never leaving her. "The Midgar family, being the royal household, doesn't partake in the noble hierarchy. Hence, it cannot be deemed the highest-ranking noble family. Also, I am aware that there exist other noble families perceived as 'inferior' to mine." His observation was astute and undeniable, a fact that Alexia had prayed he would overlook.

Anos leaned back further in his chair, studying her for a moment before continuing. "Furthermore, if your goal was to truly bridge the gap between the nobles. Then there's another factor that complicates this proposed arrangement politically," he said, his tone suggesting he was about to delve into some deeper intricacies of the kingdom's law. "You see, I have already stepped down from all of my inheritance rights in the Kageno family."

Alexia's eyes widened in surprise; this was news to her. She had caught whispers of such a development in recent months, but she had dismissed them as baseless rumors. Her bewilderment only grew when he added, "According to this kingdom's official laws, with the exclusion of the rightful heir, if any other sons or daughters of a noble of rank Earl or lower renounce all their rights to inheritance, then they are subsequently no longer recognized as nobles of the kingdom by law."

The princess stared at him, her mind trying to process the implications of his words. She had not been aware of such a law, mainly because it was so rare for a situation like this to arise. For a noble to renounce their rights was unheard of. She found herself scrambling for a response, her mind a whirl of confusion.

Anos' voice brought her back to reality. "I understand that this might be hard for you to believe. But I assure you, I'm telling the truth."

As if to solidify his point, he raised his hand and a set of documents materialized in the air in front of him, along with a book that appeared to be a copy of the kingdom's law. Alexia watched with bulging eyes, awestruck by the miraculous display of magic, as he flipped through the book to a specific page and then pointed at a clause. "Here," he said, "This is the law I mentioned."