Chapter 7: Starting Afresh

Only once has Hermione ever recalled seeing a Slytherin look so... betrayed. It was in the seventh year, when the Battle of Hogwarts erupted, and everyone presumed Harry dead in Hagrid's arms. It was the sound of Voldemort calling for the children of his followers – those who took the mark, like Malfoy, and those who were unbranded followers, like Theo.

She remembers vividly watching as Quinton Nott and Lucius Malfoy hissed for their sons to follow them... to return to their side, and ultimately be a part of the 'winning side'.

Only that they didn't. That was the first look of betrayal Hermione ever saw from the serpents. That, and today.

"What are you doing, Hermione?" Theodore asked her, his nature-like eyes following her as she closed the door behind her and wandlessly silenced the room. She turned to her brother, eyes meeting his – betrayal.

"I needed space...time, if you will," She breathed out in a whisper. "I felt trapped at the Manor, I needed time in a place of comfort. In the presence of those I find comfort in."

"Draco told me about Potter," Theo half smiled, half smirked. "Bloody Gryffindors and their inability to do wrong." Hermione half smiled at that.

It was true. Harry Potter was the one individual in the whole wizarding world unable to do wrong. He was a living Saint if you will.

"Does that- having him know – does that make you feel better?" He asked sincerely. His eyes fell to his dragon-leather shoes, his hands fidgeting with an item in his dress-robe pockets.

"It does, actually... He was very supportive of my stance and the whole situation... He's like a brother to me." The moment that came from her lips, she knew it was a mistake. Not that she didn't see Harry as a brother, no. A mistake that she made in the presence of her own brother... her biological brother, who she sees only as the boy she grew up being tormented by.

She felt sad.

For Theo.

For herself.

For the relationship they should have had.

For the relationship that had been wrongly ripped from them.

A murder of their innocence. A murder of their interconnecting bond that she was so sure they would have had, seeing from the bond that all the Weasleys have.

"I guess I have nine years to catch up on..." He smiled at her, and she responded as much. She could see that beneath his smile, smirk, and façade – he just wanted to get to know his sister. It wasn't his fault that his-their dad sold her out.

She said it today, she will have to keep reminding herself. But she will make it her goal.

She will stop revelling in the self-pity and the wallowing that is consuming her life. She will take every day as it comes and put effort into the things that matter.

Her work.

Herself.

Her friends.

Her family.

"I guess we should start today... considering Harry's had 3286 more days than you," She smiled and crossed her arms. He looked up at her with that signature Slytherin smirk, he took a step forward, and it seemed as though he had just realised what he had done, and hesitated.

Hermione decided to muster up that courage, close the gap between the two, and embrace him in a hug. Her hands found their way around his broad shoulders, and his arms were slowly trying to find themselves around her. He safely placed them on her upper back, and she felt him sigh a breath of relief. She took a moment to close her eyes and inhale the scent that seemed so distantly familiar. Almost of a scent of a long-distant Aunt whom you haven't seen since you were little, but once every few months, you're doing something, or you're somewhere, and a slither of her scent infiltrates your surroundings, and it takes you back to a place – a memory that you cannot seem to pinpoint, but you know its distinctively her.