PROLOGUE

The cold night air whipped my perfectly curled hair around my face as i made my way home from another party. My bare feet were freezing against the cold pavement and my short cocktail dress wasn't helping my already freezing skin. I had lost my friends soon after we got there, had ditched my black heels as soon as I left the house and was now walking home alone at 12:00 on a friday night. Carefully dodging the broken glass that was scattered along the pavement, i made my way past my step-sisters 'shitty hell hole' as she put it. The street lights were dim and I couldn't exactly see what was on the ground but i was too drunk and tired to care. As I passed the back of the school two dark figures caught my eye. Curiosity took the better of me as i stood out of view a few metres away. One person was pressed up against a brick wall and the other standing only inches away. I recognised the person standing closet to me, her name was Teesha, she had abused Juliet for years. I had seen her around a few times, mostly flirting with guys at clubs. If I wasn't so tired and drunk i would have said something but i was only really focusing on going home to my bed. I couldn't quite figure out who the other person was but i didn't really care. I glanced down at my feet for a second and when i looked back up the mysterious person groaned and fell to the floor. From the light that now shone onto them i could tell it was a guy and i could also tell there was a pool of blood pouring onto the ground. My hand flew to my mouth to stop myself from screaming. I quietly turned and ran onto the empty street and walked quickly onto our street. I knew Teesha was cruel, but i never thought she would go as far as killing someone. I walked to the end of our street and scaled our high metal fence. I then carefully swung myself up the branches of the oak tree that conveniently stood outside my window. I slid open my window and climbed into my bedroom, to be greeted by my soft carpet and queen size bed. I dropped my shoes to the floor before grabbing my pyjamas and quickly changed. I slipped into my bed and closed my eyes, desperately trying to forgot the horrible scenes i had just witnessed. I rolled over as i fell into a deep sleep.

I stumbled down the stairs and into the kitchen. My head was killing me, my body ached and i felt like i had been run over by a truck, twice. As i got into the kitchen i stopped dead in my tracks as i saw my mum and step-dad crying together, a police officer by their side. I glanced down at the kitchen table and picked up the newspaper. Tears fell down my face as the sudden realisation hit me.