stars of lovingness

It had been a week since Melt had confessed his feelings to Aqua, and the beginning of their relationship.

In truth, Aqua felt like his relationship was the same as in the past. Other than a singular kiss, the two of them had yet to do anything romantic.

He supposed that was why Melt invited Aqua over to his house that day, calling it a date.

Really, Aqua thought that going to Melt's house for a first date was a bit ridiculous. Most people went out to restaurants or somewhere important, to show how big their first step was. But a peaceful date at Melt's house sounded much more pleasing than a trip to a restaurant, Aqua realized with a bit of thought.

No worries about finding nice clothes, or a romantic restaurant, or who would have to pay for the food. The only thing Aqua would have on his mind was seeing Melt again, which seemed like the perfect date to Aqua.

Kana, though, found it hilarious when he told her. She patted Aqua's back as she promised she would give Melt a good talking, so he would come out as a perfect, charming boyfriend, rather than a loser.

Aqua figured he would let them have their fun, curious to see what Melt would come up with for their second date after Kana's talk. However, for their first date, Aqua's only plan was to simply enjoy being with Melt, and nothing else.

Perhaps then, he would sort out his conflicted feelings about dating Melt.

Aqua loved Melt, he knew that for certain.

The more he spent time with the other, the more he realized that his feelings for Melt could be stronger than platonic ones. However, love was such a complex thing to Aqua.

How would he know for certain that his love for Melt was romantic? There were so, so many different types of love in the world, and Aqua didn't understand most of them. He never considered love to be a thing in his life, as he spent most of it focused on revenge.

But when that revenge melted away, and Aqua was able to live, he was left stuck with this puzzle to figure out what love was, and what it meant to him.

Even after dating Akane for over a year, Aqua still hadn't figured out how he felt about her. Were his feelings for her always solely platonic, or did he have romantic feelings for her after all?

Their relationship didn't work, in the end, so Aqua had no regrets dating Melt. In fact, Akane supported their relationship, talking about how it made her happy to see Aqua at peace with someone else.

Sure enough, Aqua felt at peace with Melt. An odd feeling of peace that only Melt could give to him.

With Melt and the subject of love being an enigma, Aqua was left with several different puzzle pieces which he hadn't the slightest clue of how to piece together.

Aqua hoped that as their relationship developed, he would slowly understand what he couldn't figure out while he was with Akane.

Perhaps Melt was the key to what he had been searching for this whole time.

Yet, at the same time, getting in a romantic relationship with Melt terrified him. The relationship with Akane had started off as a business relationship, but Melt was different. Aqua had agreed to date Melt with the intention of being his lover.

If there's one thing Aqua knew about love, it was that love was such a fragile thing. One small move could destroy the whole thing.

Romance, especially, was fragile. Melt trusted Aqua with his life, and in turn, Aqua trusted Melt with his own.

But no matter how much Aqua wished he could trust Melt, it was such a difficult thing. Love was such a difficult thing. And if Aqua walked into a relationship with such uncertainty that he could keep Melt happy, then did he even deserve to date him?