OLD VERSION Chapter 5: Restless

Start from the beginning

"Wow, calm down, champion".

Nate. He might have just lost against Kyle, yet the wolf was still acting so cocky.

"What do you want, Nate?"

"Where do you think you're going, Kyle?" asked Nate, completely ignoring his question.

"The forest. I need to run"

"You need to run? Are you fùcking kiding me? You have been training for hours!"

Kyle let out a heavy sight. "Not today, Nate. Please".

"Wow. I actually didn't know the most terrifying Beta of our pack could ask something politely. I am afraid you have to come with me, though. Darren wants us both in the tent, right now".

"I thought he left as soon as the fight ended?"

"He asked me through our mental link".

Of course, their mental link. I keep forgetting about it, Kyle thought, feeling a pang of jealousy. He quickly hidded it, though, and curtly nodded. " I am following you".

As they were walking toward the tent they shared, Kyle could feel his legs becoming heavier and heavier and he had to stop a few times and sit on the ground. If Nate was annoyed, he did not show it and waited for him with surprising patience. They eventually got there and they shifted as soon as they entered the tent. Darren was already inside, comfortably lying on the bed.

"This was a good fight. Congratulations to both of you. Kyle, I think you are more than ready to go on with that special operation against the Downhill pack I mentioned to you a few days ago. You will be leaving soon".

Suprised by Darren's approving tone, Kyle curtly nodded and started exiting the tent.

"I did not say you could leave yet. What took you so long, by the way?" Darren wanted to know.

Before Kyle had time to think of a lie, Nate was answering the alpha "We had to to take several breaks, Dare. Kyle was exhausted, though he did not even want to acknowledge it".

Darren nodded. " I supposed you are going to tell us you are perfectly fine and ready to have a good run?"

"Erm, yes actually", was Kyle's quick reply. "I am actually feeling much better now and I was hoping ..."

"Not happening" Darren interrupted him. "You are going to rest, Kyle, and Nate and I are going to make sure of it".

"But I am not even tired"

"But I am not even tired", Nate mimicked him. "We have been watching you, you know. We are not blind. You have not been sleeping properly for weeks. We won't have one of our best warriors killed because he passed out the opportunity to have a long, nice nap".

" Watch your tongue, Nate. I could have you on your back even if I had been sleep-deprived for months"

"I want to see you try, Beta".

"Okay, that's enough", ordered Darren. "Kyle, you are going to rest now for at least a couple of hours and that's final".

Questioning an alpha's order for too long was a terrible idea and Kyle resignated to his fate. He started making his way towards his own matress but Nate's voice stopped him "No, you're not going to sleep on your mattress this time. "

"You mean you want me to sleep on the ground? Is that your own definition of a long, nice nap?"

Nate sighed. "Of course not, silly. You're going to sleep with us, on the bed. I think this matress is part of the reason why you have not been sleeping at all lately".

But Kyle was still hesitant about it and Darren's patience was thining. "What? Afraid to share our bed? We're actually not the rapists here". Darren had said the last part under his breath but Kyle had still hear it.

"I am out of here" he grumbled, vexed, but as soon as he turned his back on them, he was suddenly lifted off the ground and thrown over Darren's shoulder.

"Da-Darren. Put me down, I can walk" he protested.

"I know you can walk. You're good at running away, too. In fact, that's what you do best. Look, you want to act like a child? Then you're gonna be treated as one".

With that, he forced Kyle to lie down on the massive king size bed. Nate hurrily climbed up on the bed too, and he tucked the cover on the three of them. Nate was lying on Kyle's right side, while Darren was on his left side. Wow. He got to sleep in the middle. This was too good to be true.

"You don't have to sleep with me. I know both of you you hate me", he muttered.

Even though he would never admit it aloud, Kyle could not believe how good he suddenly felt, laying on the bed between his two mates. They were not even touching him, yet they had never been so close to him. He felt warm, safe and even cared for. It was almost overwhelming and he rolled on his left side, to make sure Nate was actually okay with him intruding the couple's privacy. As if sensing his discomfort, Nate gave him a gentle smile:

"It's fine, Kyle. Just relax".

"Are you sure? I mean..."

"Kyle" growled Darren, though his tone was not menacing. "Sleep, or I'll make you".

Kyle nodded and gradually his eyes closed. I hope I won't have any nightmares was his last thought, as he finally started to doze off.